trouble with midi in sonar

mojque

i'm using sonar home studio, and i'm not getting any midi playback.

the microsoft synth is my default midi playback device in windows setup. recording and playback are both set to a toneport ux2. ux2 is running functionally as a soundcard.

in shs, i can record and playback audio, but i have no midi playback. my selected input midi devices in order are ux2, mpu-401. my selected output midi devices in order are mpu-401, ux2. microsoft synth is listed but cannot be selected. all other recording/playback selections within shs options are ux2. in each track, i have tried virtually every combination of inputs and outputs without any response.

the mpu-401 is the onboard midi. the ux2 has no midi output. i actually had midi working for a few minutes before shs crashed, and i haven't been able to get midi to work since.

i have a soundcard from a few years ago that has midi output, but i did have the onboard midi working at one time, so i'm thinking i shouldn't have to install another sound card for that.

my purpose of midi is to program drums within shs. i'm not using an external keyboard, just the piano roll in shs.

i've been working on this the past few days and made no progress. anyone know what i can do?

mojque said:
the ux2 has no midi output.
The only reason you need a midi output from your soundcard is to sequence external (hardware) synth modules or send a midi/mtc signal to some other device that's going to run alongside and in sync with Sonar Home Studio.

Once you have the midi note information recorded in a midi track you need to give it a voice. The Microsoft synth that's greyed out is greyed out for a good reason --- you've moved beyond it as a voicing option and can no longer use it to give midi a voice.

I can't remember what softsynths Sonar Home Studio ships with, but if you have the current version (or the one before the current version) it sould support VST plugins.

Here's a link --- LINK --- to a free VST drum sound plugin that gets high marks all around.

My recommendation is you get some kind of a keyboard or other controller, because just tapping the on-screen keyboard with the mouse gets old quickly.

Back