Trouble with micing

Masters Of War

I've been having some trouble micing vocals and acoustic guitar at the same time. I'm using a SPB1 for the vocs and a SM57 for the guitar, both are plug into a DMP3 preamp, I'm recording on a Tascam 488. While trying to adjust the gain to get a good even read out on the vu meter I suddenly get this low pitch humming, I have to move the gain back down so low to kill the hum that I get no level on the vu meter. I tried to adjusted the line in level on my 488 to compensate for the low level on the dmp3 and I ran into the same humming. I have to turn all the levels down so low to get rid of the hum that I hardly get any volume while recording. I've tried tinkering with the hi gain and low cut switchs and niether helped. The problem seems to be the worst with the sm57, all my equipment is really close together (if that matters), and I noticed that when the sound hole of my acoustic is placed directly in front of the sm57 it hums at any level. If anyone could help me out that would be rad, thanks.

Could the problem be coming from your power source? That's the first thing I think of at least. Second thing I think of is your cables. You might wanna invest in a good quad mic cable - something with a good shield on it. I've not had this problem myself...

Jacob

Yo master! I have the same thought as the other guys. There are lots of problems you could have with the setup you are describing, but hum isn't ususally one of them. You are getting it with both mics, so it probably isn't the mic. When you disconnect the mics from the preamp and crank it, does it hum all by itself? Make sure that the cables from the preamp to the Tascam are interconnect (patch) cables and not speaker or cheap instrument cables. Read the fine print on the cables and talk to us, because they are the most likely culprits. Also, get the preamp away from the Tascam. Putting many preamps near anything will often create hum due to transformer interference. Also, make sure you don't have any power cable running close to a mic or patch cable. Good luck.-Richie

Back