Trouble with Jaz Drive

Kramer

Im having some trouble with my Jaz drive and Im hoping someone can steer me in the right direction before I take it outside and smash it in the highway.

I am able to save wav files onto my Jaz drive from my computer with no problem.Im naming them the same way I always have(I.E. song_01.WAV...etc..).This has always worked before without any problems.

I then take the jaz and hook it up to the SCSI port on the back of the VF 16(as I always have)and boot up the jaz first and then the VF.The VF reads the Jaz drive just fine but when I go to LOAD Program and choose the Jaz drive,it shows the Jaz Drive as EMPTY.It has 16 WAV files loaded on it so it's definetly not empty.

I did get the VF 16 to read a disk that had some wav files on it from a month or so ago but anything new that I try to transfer to the VF now wont work.

Could it be the way the disk is formatted in Windows?I am running Windows ME.I right click the jaz drive icon in "My Computer" and choose "Format"(Just like I ALWAYS have),then I proceed to transfer wavs from my computer onto the Jaz.

Does anybody have a clue as to why my VF 16 is all of the sudden reading the Jaz Drive as "EMPTY"?

Thanks for your time.

Kramer

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I posted this over on the VF 16 board also but I thought maybe some of the guys that use jaz drives here could give me a clue as to what is happening.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Jaz disk that you got the VF to read before — was it formatted by Win Me, the way you describe? Or is there a way to get the VF to format it? You might have better success if you format the disk using the VF, then move files onto it.

I'm only guessing.

Another guess: Could it be a FAT16-vs-FAT32 issue? Does Win Me give you a choice when you format?

Jaz Drive

Hi Kramer
I posted a reply to this on the other board - to do with the Archive bit on your WAV files - check it out.

'Orc (aka Mike)

Thanks for the replies everybody!I think the symptoms were just a pre-cursor of what was to come.My computer wont even read my Jaz drive now.It seems to be dead in the water after running fine for the last few months.

It's time to break down and get a plextor CD writer and be done with it.

Thanks again for the replies guys.It's much appreciated.

p.s.Thanks for checking in over on the other board mike!

Ah the Jazz drive...been there, smashed it on the highway yes i did heeheheheheHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ahhhhhh.

Sooo many errors swithched to lightpipe and have not looked back ($400 dollars of iomega later grrrrr).

jaz

i have had jaz disks go bad , im a graphic artist, and they do die, these folks are really great on this forum lots of good info, cables go bad too, and thats an easy thing to check

Kramer said:
t's time to break down and get a plextor CD writer and be done with it.

Jaz drives ( hell, Iomegas in general) are notorious for flakey behavior & failures. Add that to cheap SCSI cables, improper configuration, and you'll be in SCSI hell.:eek:

Jettison that sucker!:D

Just FYI:

The golden rules of SCSI

• The last device, and only the last device on a SCSI chain must be terminated.
  • Each device must have a unique ID#.
  • Cheap cables & adaptors should be avoided at all cost.

Back