Trouble w/ new Delta/Cakewalk/HP P4/WinXP setup

MarkU

I just bought a new HP pc (P4 at 1.7 gHz, 80gb /5400 rpm HD and 768 mb SDRAM) with Widows XP. I am running Cakewalk Guitar tracks Pro 2.0 and have a new Delta omni studio (w/delta 66 sound card). I upgraded because my old Win 98SE machine with 300 mz PII/ 6gig HD and built-in soundcard had such high latency I could not record multitracks and properly monitor for multitrack over dubbing. I could do 6 or 7 tracks, however.

Here is the problem. I cannot record over 5 tracks (with no effects) with out drop out. I have played with buffer numbers and size, reduced video to low scan rate, low acceleration, fewer colors etc) but with no noticeable improvements. Surely the problem cannot processor speed or amount of ram. The drivers are the latest WDM and according to the midiman web site are the correct ones for XP, even if not certified by Mr. Gates.

What can you suggest to make things work. With a new computer, new soundcard and relatively new program I do not know where the problem lies. Surely even a 5400 rpm HD should be able to do better. Any and all help would be appreciated

Back