Trouble using channel inserts. HELP!!!!!

RayJohnson

Hiya experts!
I just purchased a Focusrite TrakmasterPRO and i really have trouble connecting it to my Allen&Heath ZED14 mixer. I want to go with channel inserts on the mixer since i monitor everything from it. I know it has something to do with the send and returns inputs on each pieces of hardware but i really got hooked between cables here :) Someone help me please. Thanks in advance. RAY

Sorry...tell me again why you're not using the channel inputs on the Zed? If you leave the channel gain at zero you should be bypassing the preamp entirely, then you could just monitor from the headphone out like normal.

Frank

as always more info is helpful to be able to address things specifically

Have an A&H but not the ZED, never used the Foscurite Trackmaster

typically an insert takes a signal after the preamp stage, prior to EQ, fader, etc. passes it to a seperate processer and then passes it back to the same point in the signal path (pre EQ fader)

if your source is not attached to the channel there is no signal to work with, nothing to be passed back.

as it is probably a toss up as to which pre's are 'better' you could attach source to Zed use appropriate insert cable (TRS branched to 'Y' send and return . . . ZED manual should make clear which part of TRS is send, which return) and patch that signal solely to the Foscurite compressor (by passing it's mic pre)

or as Weassel said attach source to foscurite and it's output to the line in on a ZED channel, set micpre gain to 0 and still use fader and EQ

or if you don't need fader and EQ just patch the Foscurite into a ZED return

While it is frequently possible to use an insert socket as a direct out, by inserting a mono cable only part way (to the first click) I do not think I've ever seen one configured so you could use it as a direct line in . On some boards, some configurations inserting any cable into the insert 'breaks' the signal path, parallel, direct out is not possible you have to loop the signal back through the return portion of the 'y' to retain any signal. I do not think I have ever seen a configuration in which you can use the insert socket as an independent direct return. While I had not tested this on my A&H previously, just check it now and you can't. I.E. you can't attache source to Foscurite and then insert the Foscurite output in the A&H insert (inpedent of it's line in pathway)

good luck

But i am using the channel input on the zed.

Right now my chain is like this:
The microphone is plugged into the trakmaster, the trakmaster to the mixer, and from the mixers outputs into the my fireface800 interface. Also the studio monitors are hooked to the trakmaster as it receives signal from the interface (i use this because the trakmaster has a monitor mute function wich mutes monitors when i record vocals, so i won't have to turn off manually everytime)

I also got my headphones plugged into the trakmaster, and that because it has zero latency.All i wanted to do is use the trakmaster as a channel insert, it's a very nice tool to use.

Now, my question is what do i need to do to connect it with the zed, and to be able use the EQ on it. My goal is to use the mic plugged into the mixer, the trakmaster as an insert, controll it by aux and to monitor everything from the zed. Thanks for reply, and please help me. Ray

Last edited:
Now, my question is what do i need to do to connect it with the zed, and to be able use the EQ on it. My goal is to use the mic plugged into the mixer, the trakmaster as an insert, controll it by aux and to monitor everything from the zed. Thanks for reply, and please help me. Ray
Why do you want your preamp as a insert... what can't you do now that this would resolve... I don't see any improved functionality, and a bit of signal degredation with this configuration.

I'd recomend leaving it as is... If you want to use the comressor and eq on a line level input, then yes, insert... but as a channel strip with pre engaged... lineout to line in on the desk is the best alternative

Hiya experts!
I just purchased a Focusrite TrakmasterPRO and i really have trouble connecting it to my Allen&Heath ZED14 mixer. I want to go with channel inserts on the mixer since i monitor everything from it. I know it has something to do with the send and returns inputs on each pieces of hardware but i really got hooked between cables here :) Someone help me please. Thanks in advance. RAY

You have to connect the source (mic, line) to the trackmaster's input and the output of the trackmaster goes into the *return* of the insert connector of the mixer. Read the manual of your mixer as to which signal connection of the TRS connector is the return. Allen&Heath use the *ring* as the return input. You can buy an insert cable to connect.

Good Luck

But i am using the channel input on the zed.

Right now my chain is like this:
The microphone is plugged into the trakmaster, the trakmaster to the mixer, and from the mixers outputs into the my fireface800 interface. Also the studio monitors are hooked to the trakmaster as it receives signal from the interface (i use this because the trakmaster has a monitor mute function wich mutes monitors when i record vocals, so i won't have to turn off manually everytime)

I also got my headphones plugged into the trakmaster, and that because it has zero latency.All i wanted to do is use the trakmaster as a channel insert, it's a very nice tool to use.

well, hopefully you've resolved your issue but from this post I'm still less then clear about what you are trying to accomplish

1. you want to use trackmaster EQ?

2. you are currently monitoring via Trackmaster but want to monitor via ZED?

3. no exactly sure what you mean by 'zero latency' in this instance. Latency would only be an issue (sort of) for signals passed to computer and then returned to the ZED. But you are not going to be monitoring those, on trackmaster via channel insert (unless you are patching computer out to Zed input then I understand even less concerning your goal) (don't know if Zed has master bus inserts . . . but, again that is why was requesting some clarification of how you were trying to accomplish the thing with which you had an issue. but if you are using the trackmaster on the master bus that includes returns from computer you are not going to have 'zero latency' in any case . . . latency is not determined by input hardware but by computer & to monitor input not only would ZED have equivalent 'zero latency' but signal path would be shorter. So? Unless you want to use Trackmasters compression or EQ still not sure what you are trying to accomplish)

The basic response to initial inquiry remains the same if you want to use the ZED insert point (for what ever process) you need an insert cable: single quarter inch plug with dual 'channels' (TRS) on one end and dual 'mono' 1/4 in. plugs on the other. Even without reading the manual it tends to be pretty easy to tell which of the two plugs in to the input (and which into output) on the processor . . . just pass a steady signal to the input of the ZED and if one arrangement (input/output) doesn't work the other should

Generally speaking what you are passing to the trackmaster via an insert is a single channel pre fader pre EQ . . . that is what you would be monitoring on the trackmaster

Typically A&H boards have enough monitor options that even without a specific 'mute' switch you can 'one touch' quiet a specific monitor channel. On a multi bus system monitors can typically be configured to accept signals from main L/R, Alt 3/4, one, both or neither . . . among those options you should, typically be able to toggle monitor output

Back