Trouble finding guitarists

melodiousmonk

I guess the newbie section is just a drop box for anything that doesn't fit anywhere else so I'm posting this here. I am a songwriter and I play guitar, bass, drums, and sing. I've written a ton of songs just recording them myself and recently got a couple guys from my highschool to form a band. Finding musicians who want to play prewritten music is difficult but I found a decent bassist and a great drummer. All I need is a guitarist and I swear I've tried out everybody in my school. With guitarists I always encounter the same problem: they want to solo all the time and make up their own "killer riffs" to every song I've written, and don't care to take the time to learn the music. I'm sure a lot of people here have encountered the same problem and it makes me think that a guitarist is the hardest position to fill (well) in a band. What do you think about that?

maybe you should try to find a guitar player who sucks too much to solo; it's for that reason only that i was a rhythm guitarist in a band for a few years.

shiatzu said:
maybe you should try to find a guitar player who sucks too much to solo; it's for that reason only that i was a rhythm guitarist in a band for a few years.
I agree to an extent but I don't think it's about finding a player who sucks, just someone who cares more for the end product than just their own specific parts.

Some guitarists have an ear for what would sound good for any given song you give them. They come up with parts that enhance and add to the existing arrangement. It might be a rip roaring solo in the middle if that's what the song needs or it might be a few softly strummed chords throughout, almost like a pad.

You want someone with that sort of intuition.

There's a world of difference between sitting in your bedroom shredding and having to play songs with other musicians and contribute effectively to the songwriting process. I guess that's the problem trying to find collaborators within your age group, people are generally inexperienced in making music with other people.

Good luck in your quest!

Kevin DeSchwazi said:
There's a world of difference between sitting in your bedroom shredding and having to play songs with other musicians and contribute effectively to the songwriting process.
Amen!

Good luck in your quest.

melodiousmonk said:
I guess the newbie section is just a drop box for anything that doesn't fit anywhere else so I'm posting this here. I am a songwriter and I play guitar, bass, drums, and sing. I've written a ton of songs just recording them myself and recently got a couple guys from my highschool to form a band. Finding musicians who want to play prewritten music is difficult but I found a decent bassist and a great drummer. All I need is a guitarist and I swear I've tried out everybody in my school. With guitarists I always encounter the same problem: they want to solo all the time and make up their own "killer riffs" to every song I've written, and don't care to take the time to learn the music. I'm sure a lot of people here have encountered the same problem and it makes me think that a guitarist is the hardest position to fill (well) in a band. What do you think about that?

Musicians, like all people, have to grow up. This is especially true for guitarists in a sort of "shred phase."

Ideas to consider:
1. Ask any prospective guitarist their favorite band. Try to guage their level of guitar-player toolishness by their response. If they say The Beatles, you're most likely in good shape. If they say Van Halen or Yngwie Malmsteen's Wild Shredder Circus, that's cause for alarm.

2. Similarly, ask them their favorite song. If the song is nothing but a glorified solo, run. If the song is sololess, you're in luck. If the song is a great song with a solo (my examples would include stairway and bohemian rhapsody) be careful. If he says "the solo is just so badass," you are once again on slippery ground.

3. Wait until every lame wannabe 16-year old shredder grows up. (Somehow I doubt this will be your prefered solution)

4. Say "Fuck the 2nd guitar." There are plenty of great bands with just a bassist, drummer, and guitarist/singer frontman. I have no idea what style you're into, but I imagine there's at least one power trio in that genre. Take it as a challenge to write captivating music without the resource of a second guitarist.

Good luck

Where are you located?

Believe me, I can play lead guitar that makes men's jaws drop and women's pants wet. I'd love to cut heads with Vai or Satriani or anyone. I am not bragging so please do not accuse me of that! I am stating a fact.

Anyway, I can play lead but for the most part, I do not enjoy playing lead all the time and do not want to solo over everything or elaborate every single chord into a riff. The last couple of bands that I played with loved to hear me play lead. They'd look at me around solo time, so I'd cook a lead for a little while and then get bored with it and want to finish the song. If they kept playing I would just drop my arms down to my sides and stand there. If they still kept going I would put my guitar down, turn off the amp, and leave the room.

That's not to say that I don't enjoy playing leads - I do. But not continiously. For one thing, every lead guitarist out there, including myself, has only so much in their bag of tricks. If I start to repeat myself, it's time to stop.

How old are the dudes that have been playing with you? I wasn't always this way. I am 41 now, but when I was a "young gun" I wanted to solo endlessy, over everything, all the time. I'm an "older gun" now - I can still crank out highly original leads (the kind that come from never taking a lesson and finding instructional books too cumbersome). But I respect the song as number one. Perhaps you should look for older guitarists.

dragonworks said:
guitarists are a dime a dozen, now you know why.

Keep looking he/she is out there.

Yep. We certainly are. But guitarists that check their egos at the door are rare. You may think that I am an egotist, because of what I posted. It's not like that at all. People constantly tell me that I -am- that good. So what should I say about myself? My skill level is relevant to the discussion. So is 25 years of experience and playing with other musicians.

But I am very humble and cooperative in a band setting. I would much rather practice and perfect an original song then play endless leads. It's not actually what I prefer - it's what I do. I don't play with people who just want to jam all the time.

And for the second guitarist - don't bother. Two guitarists in one band almost always leads to hassles. I can work with a second guitar player, but I find that they seem to become intimidated and then defensive and turn the whole thing into battle of one-upsmanship that I have no taste for.

At this point in my life, I do not play in bands with two guitarists. Not because I want the spotlight for myself - I don't. But I usually can't deal with the other guitarist because there are not many of us out there like me - who respect the song as number one and want to do what is best for the song and not the ego.

So yes, keep looking, look for older guitarists, and sh!tcan the idea of two guitarists. A good rhythm/lead player does not need a secong guitarist and the song, when performed live, does not suffer. Of course, recording can be done with only one guitarist.

BTW - why do you think that I am taking up home music anyway? I am tired of dealing with most musicians. If you ever find that "magic" spark between players - keep it going at all costs. I had it once, twenty years ago - and we let it go. I could never find it again, at least not as fine of a group as that, where a few players think alike and combine to be one single unit.

I know what you are talking about, but our problem was finding an origional singer. What you may be able to do is check local radio station websites because sometimes they have message boards to help bands get together. Just pick the station that plays your type of music and hope they have reply boards and a guitarists that is interested. anyways, good luck with finding somebody.

Here's how you find the guitarist (or any musician) your looking for:
Head to every local junior college's music department. You will ALWAYS find a message board somewhere. Post a message for "Guitarist wanted for XXXX type of band. Call XXX or Email XXXXXX" You will still have to sift through the crummy ego players, but you will find one that will suit you.
Concerning egotistcal players who solo all the time, jam, or create riffs....hey, I don't know about you all, but I know I sure went through my phase. I didnt work my way out of it until I really started playing with others, and more importantly, playing with others in a type of music I was not really accostomed too (Country for a little bit, then Jazz). It was the jazz guys who made me realize and appreciate the ENTIRE sound.
On a side note, a guy I worked with created his entire album before looking for a band. (Great CD) His situation was almost identical, he had a drummer/bass player...but no second guitarist. So...to fill in for live shows, he burned a CD with rythm tracks so he could play the 2nd guitar...(or vice versa depending on the song) and played to the CD. Just a thought for solving live show problems.

To me..it sounds like your wanting these guitarists to play every single note to every single song that you wrote!

If thats the case....i'd say your S.O.L. on this...as speaking for myself as a guitarist.You cannot expect people you dont know too well to abide by your every command.Musicians are musicians because they like being creative..
I tryed out for a particular band one year who wanted me to play note for note what they were doing on the very 1st practice with them! As i try to tell them.."hey let me get a feel for it first" they INSISTED i play what they were doing NOTE FOR NOTE.
Needless to say...i didnt show up for a 2nd rehersal!

Now if you stated right up front that you had full songs you needed played...well thats a whole diffrent story!

I don't care if you're Metallica, I wouldn't play prewritten bass parts note for note, at least not for every song. I usually add my own flaver even for covers. My advice is to lighten up about it. If they're hired guns for a solo project or something, then that's different. But, for a band setting, it is generally bad politics to write someone elses parts for them.

As far as soloing over everything-- F'ing guitar players :rolleyes: :)

no guitarist really finds the pocket until they're at least 22 yo.

(ok, i'm *sorta* kidding...)

i suggest you don't try to do all the songwriting. making music in a band is a collaborative process... if you try to elicit musical ideas from other guitar players they're less likely to go shred crazy.

My take on writing and working with other musicians, and I have 45 years exp. at this, is as follows. When I write a tune I would expect the musicians who played it with me to follow the feel. If it is a country feel, then a country bass, etc. They would not overplay, there might be a time and place for this somewhere in the tune or somewhere else in another tune. At times there will be lines that have to be played as written, but everything in between is up to the particular musicians ability and preference as long as it is consistent with the "feel" of the tune.
At least that is how I feel about playing with other musicians doing my material.

hey, in my quest for musicians, I have found some good bassists and some good guitarists....the thing I have trouble with is drummers. Most of the drummers I have found either are very technical and don't have an ear for what sounds good OR have an ear that's ok, but aren't technical/just play don't count....WHY ARE THERE DRUMMERS WHO DON'T COUNT? This frustrates me. I work with church musicians and when I'm talking to a drummer about beats I want accented or what count i want the kick/snare on and he doesn't understand I just want to scream at the top of my lungs. Then, I've also got a drummer who counts great/is technical, but has such a limited style and not a good ear for what sounds good. SO, in my experience a good drummer is very hard for me to find....guitarist/bass/keys I've had much more luck with....on the other hand, where are the great lead guitarists who can sing good harmony too?

Kryptik said:
But, for a band setting, it is generally bad politics to write someone elses parts for them.

not if a bass player doesn't understand that what they are doing does not fit what the rest of the band is doing.....then they need to be told what to play

Springo said:
And for the second guitarist - don't bother. Two guitarists in one band almost always leads to hassles. I can work with a second guitar player, but I find that they seem to become intimidated and then defensive and turn the whole thing into battle of one-upsmanship that I have no taste for.

A good rhythm/lead player does not need a secong guitarist and the song, when performed live, does not suffer.

oh i so disagree, most bands I see with one guitarist sound very very empty.....if the guitarists know what they're doing, i say two is going to give you a much fuller, more versatile sound.....i've seen bands w/ three guitarists who are tasteful that sound incredible live

Markaholic said:
I tryed out for a particular band one year who wanted me to play note for note what they were doing on the very 1st practice with them! As i try to tell them.."hey let me get a feel for it first" they INSISTED i play what they were doing NOTE FOR NOTE.

Yeah I have been to tryouts for people like this too. Actually there are a lot of them out there. What the hell is wrong with those people? How can they possibly expect you to know their original songs, note for note, the first time that you ever meet them? It's totally absurd, and another reason why I am happy doing my own thing these days, because of clowns like that. I think they're multiplying too.

But I do disagree with you about a songwriter wanting a guitar player to play the song note for note, I mean that I disagree that this is always a bad thing. If it is properly explained, and time is given for me to learn it, no problem. And the funny thing is that i can learn just about any song, almost inmmediately in real time, if we set down to do it that way. In other words, two people who respect each other and their abilities, sitting down for one of them to show the other a song and how they envision it being played. I can learn it much faster like that then with some group of dickheads who just start playing it and expect you to join right in. Many songwriters have definite ideas about what their songs sound like, and I don't mind helping them to bring their ideas to sonic reality. In fact, I enjoy it. It's fun to do, it's fun to be the guitar player who brings somebody else's ideas to life. Have you ever read about Captain Beefheart, who would literally explain the songs to the players through conversation and by making the sounds himself? He would basically just "talk out" the song and he would sound out every note! Regardless of what you think about the Captain's music - personally I think that his lyrics are fantastic but can't listen to too much of the music in one sitting - it must have been a trip to watch him "explain" his songs. But as long as the songwriter is not a dick about it, I have no problems with doing the song the writer's way. Just think how many great songs might not have gotten done, if somebody kept trying to change them every time. On the flip side, I might make a suggestion if I think that I can improve a part, and it can be discussed and either implemented or not. That's also part of a good songwriting team.

As we have both seen, people who are dickheads about their music usually become apparent at the first meeting. It rarely goes any further than that, for me. I used to wonder how people like that ever find anybody to play with them. They act superior to everyone they meet. But as I have grown older, enough time has gone by where I have seen the whole progression of it all. And from what I've seen, these bands are mediocre at best, the kind of band that the locals all say are good, but when they really think about it, they don't really like them, they are just so used to having them around. Big fish in a small pond, and left behind by everybody else who had even half a chance of something better. You'll generally see the dickheads ten years later, when you go back home for a reuinion or something. They'll still be there, sweeping up after their shift at the hardware store, still wearing those stupid 80's shredder boots and trying desperately to conceal their receding hairline - and if you're real lucky, you'll catch them by surprise after not seeing them for ten years and get to hear their pathetic mumbling about some record deal that's about to happen....oh yeah, you mean the one from 1997? And the saddest part of all is that they still believe that they are waiting for that deal.

Music, more than just about anything else in life is a big circle. Nobody ever really drops off of it, but everything does come back around.

Last edited:
Back