TriggerIO by Aleses: I am so lost...

sean.brown

So I bought a TriggerIO from Guitar Center a few months back. I am now in the process of setting up my recording setup again, and have no idea what I'm doing as far as midi/triggers/etc.

I have Adobe Audition, it's what i use for recording, and it's what I'm used to.

The alesis device installs fine, it shows up in the device manager, and it triggers off of the drum triggers I bought for my drumset. The way I know my trigger is working is because there is a light that lights up on the unit when I play the drums.

My dilemma is that I cannot figure out where in Adobe Audition I can set the input to record the midi notes. I have tried adding a midi track to the multisession, but I don't know what settings to use. I have tried using drumagog (which is what I used to use to trigger my drums) and tried to set the input to read off the triggerIO device, but drumagog doesn't have any devices that are detected for inputs, only outputs (m-audio delta 1010 and triggerio show up).

Does anyone have any insight to what I need to do? It would be really helpful.

The manual says that I should be able to be recieving midi straight from the usb cable. There is a midi output on the back of the triggerio device. I have not yet tried connecting that to the input on my m-audio. Would that be the way to go?

Help, I'm clueless :)

Anyone have any ideas? I have pretty much ruled out drumagog because it cannot be triggered by a midi input as far as I know. And I've ruled out Audition being able to record the midi directly, because it doesnt recognize the triggerIO it as a midi input apparently. Even though it recognizes it as an input when I go into the preferences in the tab where you can program midi as a shortcut for functions in audition. Are there any other plugins that I could use for audition that would serve the function of recording the input from the TriggerIO and output a "hit" of a wav sample? Any help would be much appreciated.

I am not familiar with AA 3.0 but I do know that they added midi support and VSTi's, so you should be able to record midi and use any sampler plugin. Drumagog is not a sampler plugin though. To get started, read up on how to record a midi track and get the trigger IO working so that you can record what you are playing. From there, it is just a question of picking a sampler to play the wav's. This can be one of the specialized drum one like ezdrummer or BFD, or a standard sampler with drum sample loaded

Last edited:
That's the problem, I can't figure out how to record the midi hits in Audition. The Alesis unit works, it's communicating with the pc, but I can't figure out how to get Audition to read the input and record it. Anyone else have any advice?

Drumagog Pro and Platinum do trigger from midi as well as trigger to midi.

Check your manual to learn how to assign midi channels to the different instruments.

Back