Triggering samples with Alesis DM5...

waverz

I just got a Alesis DM5 and 5 triggers for $100. The sounds on it are ok but i was wanting to mess around with other samples. How do i go about using cubase SX to play samples triggered by the DM5? I have a midi cable hooked up from my soundcard to the DM5. I dont really even know where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Plug the midi out of the dm5 into the midi in of your soundcard. Then create a midi track in cubase. You will record the midi information (not audio, just notes/velocities, etc). You can then route this midi track to another instrument, for example the LM drum machine that comes with cubase sx. You will need a sampler if you want to use your own samples. A software one such as Native Instruments Battery would work perfectly.

I've got it hooked up but i dont seem to be getting any midi information sent to the midi port. Is there anyway to test the midi port??

Does the midi port come up in cubase? (i.e. do you get the option of selecting it as an input for a midi track, and do you see a light flashing on the cubase transport when you hit one of the pads).

If not you may need to reinstall the most recent drivers.

What kind of soundcard are you using?

I forgot to mention that you may have latency problems with software samplers depending on how good of a soundcard you have...

Its just a SB16PCI. I think thge problem was i didnt have mpu-401 installed. Im having problems installing it. Gonna uninstall all audio drivers and start from scratch.

I have another quick question...If i have the module plueged in the computer w/ midi. With that one cable can I record each "trigger" on a diffrent midi channel?

fldrummer said:
I have another quick question...If i have the module plueged in the computer w/ midi. With that one cable can I record each "trigger" on a diffrent midi channel?

You should be able to put each trigger on any one of the 16 channels that the midi cable carries.

You would probably have to make this assignment in the drum module that you are using.

Back