Trigger custom sounds?

Linchpin

I just bought an Alesis D4 drum module for playing live and possibly recording in the future. After I played around with the built in sounds I realized that I have .wav samples on my pc that blow most of these sounds away (drumkit from hell being one source).

Is there a cheap and easy way to use my kit to trigger my own sound files WITHOUT using a pc? As a side note, velocity sensitivity would also be ideal. I read that an akai sampler does something like this, but it looks as though they only support akai and roland samples.

Any help would be awesome.

In all honesty, with the unit that you have - No.

The Alesis units have the slowest Trigger to MIDI conversion on the market. You can buy a sampler and trigger it from the Alesis unit, but if you do anything more intricate than basic 4/4 stuff at mid-tempo, you will quickly become unhappy with the situation - the faster and more intricate you play, the worse it will get. The only analogy I could come up with, is it's like pouring bb's into a funnel - at some point, no matter how much you pour into it - only a certain amount is going to get through at once.

I tried doing exactly what you are talking about doing, about 10 years ago - when the DM5 (The D4's "supposed upgrade" - I say this because I thought the D4 actually had better/usable sounds in it - the DM5 was like a "dance"/rap type of sound module to me) first came out. I spent $1,000 on an Akai sampler and a DM5 and was utterly disgusted with the performance. Sure, if I played AC/DC type of stuff it was fine.

So if you don't intend to do anything really spectacular - it will work fine.

Otherwise, save your money and either get a Roland Vdrum or a ddrum unit.

I wound up going with a ddrum2 (I picked it up used off of E-bay for about $400, and the stock sounds sound exactly like a real drum set - and they are all completely tunable.)

The Alesis unit is really for the keyboard player who wants to add some drum sounds via a rack unit. The Alesis triggering interface is slow to begin with, but when you try converting to MIDI it becomes really obvious.

I have heard people claim to be using a maxed out laptop with a Roland TMI to trigger the sounds in Drumkit from hell, but that may be BS - I haven't actually seen it in person, so I don't know. That would provide you with the ultimate drum sound for live use because you could have unlimited sounds, and could build totally custom sounds - but like I said, I haven't actually seen it done - so it might have been people just pulling my leg.

Tim

Back