Trevor Horn - interesting presentation

Ah, the voodoo that so many people have a problem with, but there it is. There is a lot of repair work that goes on behind the scene that many don't want to admit.

Thanks, Rob. When he said "Never tell them [singer] about Melodyne" I actually laughed out loud - that was funny. Overall though, some good advice on how to manage the artist during a session.

He talks a lot of sense.
I liked the bit about always print out EVERY word in a song and not just write chorus.
A thrown together band caught me out with that.
I was supposed to remember instructions other than the sheet.
In the heat of battle I just played what I saw on the sheet.
'Professional' is getting the sheet right, so theat all is clear.

When writing my songs in my notebook, where the chorus or bridge is identical in different places, I'll just write Repeat Chorus or Bridge to save space. When I go to record my vocal on the song, I'll write it all out in full. I don't have one of those bars to hang lyric sheets from, but I do lay them out in front of me on the desk. I found if I leave the lyrics in shorthand (i.e., Repeat, etc.), the switching of my attention back and forth leads to me losing my place. The only place I keep the abbreviated version is at instrument breaks/solos - then I write it as [Instrument] Break Verse x 4 Chorus x 1, etc.

Back