Tremono

I've got a strat with a floating tremolo. I can't figure out how to make it fixed rather then floating, any suggestions on how I'd do that?

I've got a strat with a floating tremolo. I can't figure out how to make it fixed rather then floating, any suggestions on how I'd do that?

Put all 5 springs on and tighten up the two screws into the body from the claw until the trem block hits the wood, then tighten them a bit more so there's plenty of tension on the springs. Unscrew the trem arm and stash it for when you want to go back to floating. Some people cut a piece of wood to stick in the routing on the other side of the block, but it's not really necessary.

Short of screwing it to the face of the guitar, you can't make it technically fixed--but you can make it virtually fixed.

Loosen the strings so you've got some slack to work with. (Or do this when the strings are off during a re-string.)

Take the rectangular cover off the back of the guitar. From there, you'll see the metal block that is the bottom of the tremolo. The trem block is attached to a "claw" with springs (there's spaces for 5 springs, but there's likely going to be 3). The claw is then screwed to the inside of the body. But the claw isn't pulled snug with the body--this distance is what lets your tremolo float.

Again, with lots of slack in the strings (or no strings), simply turn the claws' screws so they pull the claw towards the body and away from the tremolo, this will pull the tremolo closer and closer to "flat." Turn the screws all the way so that the claw is snug up against the wood of the guitar, and back up on top, the trem will be "locked" flat against the body.

On one of mine some years ago, I used a bent piece of coathanger from the block to the claw, where an extra spring would go. It stayed pretty well blocked down, as I recall.

I've also seen a device that fits between the claw and the block to lock it. It's adjustable so that you can place it wherever you have the trem set to keep it stationary without turning the screws. You can take it off in a jiffy and be floating again without having to make any adjustments. I saw it at the NAMM show a couple of years ago but so far googling I can't find it.

It needs to be blocked. It's not that hard. You need to make a couple of blocks that fit the space between the block and the cavity in the body, and glue them in there (just a drop or two of cyanoacrylate is fine - you might want to remove them some day). Or, you can just do one block on the front side of the block, tighten the springs down a bit, and then you can still use the trem to go down, but it won't go up and will be MUCH more stable tuning wise.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

I've also seen a device that fits between the claw and the block to lock it. It's adjustable so that you can place it wherever you have the trem set to keep it stationary without turning the screws. You can take it off in a jiffy and be floating again without having to make any adjustments. I saw it at the NAMM show a couple of years ago but so far googling I can't find it.

They don't work very well, and need a lot of adjustment.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

With a thin-walled socket.

What Light said about blocking with wood is right on. It's easy and reversible. Pink eraser works very well too. You'll still have a little vibrato for those times you don't want to bend the neck.

Or just buy a guitar with a fixed bridge and keep your tremolo for those days you feel like wanking.

With a thin-walled socket.

What Light said about blocking with wood is right on. It's easy and reversible. Pink eraser works very well too. You'll still have a little vibrato for those times you don't want to bend the neck.

Pretty much any socket will do, actually.

The easy way (though probably more expensive than you want) is JACK THE GRIPPER, which is one of the best single use tools (something I usually try to avoid) I've ever tried.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Back