trem(more like vibrato though isnt it?) bridge springs

a_goodlett

alright i decided to put another spring on the back of my strat's bridge. so now i have 4, but now my g-string always goes low. does the arrangement of the springs matter? i looked on my friends strat and his springs a arranged different. here's how my springs are arranged: if each availabe space on the trem claw and bridge is numbered 1-5 here's what it looks like:

trem claw 1 2 3 4 5 *spot # 1 is on the side by the low e
| | | |
| | | | * spot # 5 is on the side closest to
| | | | the high e
| | | |
| | | |
bridge 1 2 3 4 5

on my friends strat its setup like this and his stays in tune pretty well.

1 2 3 4 5
| | \ |
| | \ |
| | \ |
| | \ |
| | \ |
1 2 3 4 5

should i change it to how my friend has it or do you people have any suggestions? or should i just leave it?

later cats

damnit. my artistic drawings didnt work
here they are again.
on my strat:

1 2 3 4 5 <---trem claw
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
1 2 3 4 5 <----bridge

spot 1 is closest to the low e
spot 5 is closest to high e

1 2 3 4 5
| | \ |
| | \ |
| | \ |
| | \ |
| | \ |
1 2 3 4 5

damnit they didnt work again! i'll explain it real quick

on mine: spot 1 on the claw goes to spot 1 on the bridge, 2 goes to 2, 3 is empty, 4 goes to 4, and 5 goes to 5

on my friends: 1 goes to 1, 2 goes to 2, spot 3 on the claw goes to spot 4 on the bridge, and spot 5 goes to spot 5

how should i arrange them to get good stability for my g- string, because it goes out of tune a lot

I really think there are other factors that are much more likely to be the culprit than how your tremolo springs are arranged. Make sure your saddles and nuts are well lubed. I take a TINY amount of vaseline and put it the string slots, and then use a TINY amount of graphite. The vasoline is basically just to help the graphite stick.

Aaron
http://www.aaroncheney.com

Back