Treatment Behind Monitors

Tukkis

Hey

Is it normal to put acoustic treatment behind the monitors?

I have Tannoy Reveal Actives which have a bass port on the back. Would the soundwaves bounce off the back wall? Is this good or bad?

Should I just leave a plastered wall or should put some type of foam?

Thanks
Tukkis

Ask yourself why you want to treat your walls..
If you have untreated, reflective walls, the sound coming from your monitors and the reflected sound from the walls will reach your ears at about the same time (=early reflections). The human brain cannot make a distinction between the direct signal and the early reflections (<= 50ms).
A trick to get rid of these reflections is to have one person sitting in the mix position, and having another with a mirror, moving the mirror around against the front wall, ceiling and side walls. Mark all places were you can see one or both monitors, because these are the most direct reflections there are. Treat these points.

Herwig

Yeh I understand. If I put absorbers behind the monitors wont it only absorb most of the highs and mids though?

Also by putting absorbers behind, this will only stop reflections right? It wont affect how much bass that comes out of the speakers even though the bass port os on the back?

Thanks
Tukkis

Yeh I understand. If I put absorbers behind the monitors wont it only absorb most of the highs and mids though?
indeed. You'll need bass traps to control your lows.

Check out Alton Everest's Master handbook of acoustics if you don't already have one.

Herwig

Back