Treatment and techniques to help drum sound in attic room

bishop55

Hi folks,
I need some advice. I know the value and the complexity of room treatment, and I would like make changes to improve my drum recordings. I looked at lots of posts, but would like specific advice that consider my current restraints. I am recording in my finished attic space with drywall knee walls and a carpeted floor (linoleum tiles underneath). I have included an image with the measurements. I have around 20 or so panels of oc703 that a friend gave me. These panels are not framed, and are covered in some weird thin, plastic/vinyl type covering with eyelets for hanging. Not ideal, but they were cheap.

As you can see from the image, the room has challenges, and I'm not expecting it to sound great for recording drums, but I'd like to do the best I can with what I have.

I tried recording with the recorderman method and had mixed results. One day it sounded fine, the next it was boxy, and I suspect I had some phase issues because the cymbals kept sounding like they were moving in the stereo field in spots, very weird.

I'm using two at3035's for overheads and I have the kit close-miced as well.

Right mow I have the drums positioned out a bit from one corner of the room, caddy cornered with the kick extending about to the middle of the room. I have 2 panels on the knee walls behind it, 2 on the sloping walls over it, 3 on the ceiling and 4 more on the sloped and knee walls across from it.

Straingely, perhaps, I am getting a better sound with the 3035's spread out in a sort of wide overhead position.

Sorry for the length of the post, and I would appreciate any suggestions.

Attachments

• room.JPG
    room.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 89
...and are covered in some weird thin, plastic/vinyl type covering with eyelets for hanging.

That is exactly the wrong thing for what you're trying to do. The panels are going to be too reflective in the high mid range and above. If you can take the existing covers off and recover them with a regular, breathable fabric that would work much better. After that you'll want to just position the panels on the ceiling (the slanted part and the flat part) above the drum kit. Other panels should be placed behind the drum kit on the walls that form the corner. From there it's all about experimentation.

Frank

Ha! Just like me to go with the exact wrong thing!!! LOL. I knew these weird panels were not right. THe covers can be torn off quite easily, I'll do that and wrap them in muslin or some such thing. Thanks Frank. I've already gotten a quote from you folks and I'll be hitting you up in the future!

michael

Ha! Just like me to go with the exact wrong thing!!! LOL. I knew these weird panels were not right. THe covers can be torn off quite easily, I'll do that and wrap them in muslin or some such thing. Thanks Frank. I've already gotten a quote from you folks and I'll be hitting you up in the future!

michael

I went to Wallmart and just got some mad cheap burlap. Most of it was 1.99 a yard. Like Weasel said though make sure it is breathable because anything thicker will work against you and reflect too many high frequencies.

I went to Wallmart and just got some mad cheap burlap. Most of it was 1.99 a yard. Like Weasel said though make sure it is breathable because anything thicker will work against you and reflect too many high frequencies.

That'll work just fine. Not to shoot GIK in the foot here, but since you already have all the 703 (which can be very expensive), it'll probably be a whole lot cheaper for you to just remove the existing covers and re-cover the panels with burlap.

Frank

That'll work just fine. Not to shoot GIK in the foot here, but since you already have all the 703 (which can be very expensive), it'll probably be a whole lot cheaper for you to just remove the existing covers and re-cover the panels with burlap.

Frank

This is why I am proud to be part of music and part of this forum. And this is why GK is the best room treatment solution out there

Back