Treating a tracking room

thegatekeeper

Here guys are pics of my basement that I'm converting to a "studio." Well I have this big open space and now, I need to treat it because my drums sound like shit in there. Kick is like dead with no life and so is the snare. So here are some pics I took recently with the room pretty much empty. The drums are now where the carpet is in the middle with the drum throne against the wall. Any suggestions on treatments?

Attachments

• _MG_8027.jpg
    _MG_8027.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 60
  • _MG_8028.jpg
    _MG_8028.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 45
  • _MG_8030.jpg
    _MG_8030.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 42
  • _MG_8031.jpg
    _MG_8031.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 40
  • _MG_8032.jpg
    _MG_8032.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 40
You might think about making some portable rigid fiberglass panels. If you do that, you can place them around whatever you're recording...drums for example. That would seriously help your cause.

Nate74, I hate the Trojans. I command you to change your avatar! :D

Try putting the set on something reflective, some playwood or something, might liven it up a bit. Avoid sticking it in a corner even though that is normally intuitive.

Definately add some bass traps. Maybe build some diffusors. THose with better acoustic knowledge than i can tell me if i am wrong, but some panels of 1/4 plywood beent in a curve on the walls in various places might help.

Stick a couch in the there.
And a lava lamp.

Daav

Myriad_Rocker said:
Nate74, I hate the Trojans. I command you to change your avatar! :D

Let me guess a Bruin? Or maybe Irish? No matter, neither can stand in the way of our eventual world domination.

Fight On!

And yes, portable rigid fiberglass panels are the salvation of all home recordist!

Back