Treading New Ground - Mixing Acoustic Drums and Electronica...

PoeticIntensity

MagicJones.com (is a website)
So, it's been awhile... sup, everyone! :)

I've been busy in the studio, but I thought it was time to again try something that has always ended up as garbage whenever I've tried it in the past. Mixing acoustic drums on an otherwise entirely electronic track.

This one turned out all right, but upon further listening, I'm finding some things I don't like about the mix, but I'm not quite sure how to fix without ruining the marriage between the acousti-electronica mish-mash.

I'm curious as to what you all think... about the mix, the song, arrangement, anything... comments and suggestions are welcomed.

Link to 320k mp3 here

--Jason

The synth is way too cheesy. I feel like maybe a little distortion on the drums could help.

Hmmm... I can only assume that by "cheesy" you mean "out of date", which I wholeheartedly agree with. Distortion on the drums...? Interesting thought... I'll have to see if that will work. Thanks for the suggestion, Magnawolf.

I like the drums as they are - distressing them may make them sound less acoustic/organic.
The synth does sound a little old but then again the War of the Worlds Concert/DVD/Album has these sounds and they work if the song is good enough.
Being that it's not a rave track or super BPM thing I think they all work together BUT there's a lack of melody/theme.

I think it sounds great. The acoustic kit sounds right at home in this track especially the way you have it sitting in the mix. They work well with the synths, which as mentioned aren't the most up to date, but personally I like that breathy quality in a electronica/ambient type of track. Well done !

I like a nice pad. I find when using a pad similar to this with the slow attacks, that it works better to lead the beat by a lot. I'm usually changing notes on the half or whole beat before the measure, depending on tempo. This aligns the note better to the tempo rather than feeling like it's a half beat late. ymmv.

edit: Meant to add, you should get White Strat to do a Satch style solo. It would work well here.

I have no objections to the synth.
The analog drums seem a little unusual. They're kind of boxy and buried. The synths create this big, full production; and the live drums just sound kind of small and squashed next to it... Except maybe the high hats. Those stick out nicely.

It starts to lag a bit by the 4 minute mark, I think. I wouldn't mind hearing a shorter arrangement or some more variety in the structure.

Good to hear something new from you PI.

The drums are pretty cool and blend in well for me. I like where it sounds like they go into boxy, lo-fi mode and then back to a more open sound at times. It almost sounds like there's some slow, subtle modulation effect on them, but it could be all the other swirly sounds around that are confusing me.

I agree that it feels a little long for what it is, but it sounds great to me production-wise, and I think you've succeeded in your basic quest to marry these two kinds of sounds.

Thanks to everyone for your replies and suggestions. I agree that in and of itself, it's a bit long, even as an ambient piece, it needs a little something more. Not a bad idea getting a nice guitar solo in there, too, Chili.

As for the drums....I think if you went lofi with them, they might be a better fit. They're pretty much in character now, but with a little grittiness they could be more than just a rhythmic element.

This has a bit of an Enigma vibe thanks to the uber pads you're using....one thing might be trying to limit the amount of static drone lines...maybe a little more interchordal movement (think chorales). I kept hearing quasi Gregorian-chant lines in my head.:D

I probably shouldn't have said that last part outloud.:facepalm:

I have no objections to the synth.
The analog drums seem a little unusual. They're kind of boxy and buried. The synths create this big, full production; and the live drums just sound kind of small and squashed next to it... Except maybe the high hats. Those stick out nicely.

It starts to lag a bit by the 4 minute mark, I think. I wouldn't mind hearing a shorter arrangement or some more variety in the structure.

I agree with all of this. The drums sound small and weak and insignificant compared to the gigantic spaciness of all the synth stuff. The song itself is way, way too long and monotonous to keep me interested. I listened for a few minutes and then just started skipping around witht he time slider. Every stop was the exact same thing.

Back