"travel" kit aquarian head selection

Gear_Junky

Hi, all. I saw this "travel" kit on clearance - it was the last one in the store. It caught my eye because of its compactness (space is an issue). After having someone play it and listening I thought I liked the sound (even with cheap beat-up stock heads) and build quality and hardware are very good.

I decided to sell my current kit and put the new one on layaway.

The kit is Groove Percussion BD3164MA - a natural maple finish, 16" kick (it's a converted tom) 10" and 13" hanging toms and a 12" snare. Please don't try talking me out of this - I know I like it, I played it and listened to it, etc. And I don't care about brand names (for the sake of brand names). I know value when I see it. I am a music hobbyist and not even a drummer - just a guitarist/bassist who likes to play drums.

I like classic rock, swing/jazz (not a purist), rockabilly, etc.

On my current kit (also a 4-piece, an old Premier that looks like the Ringo Starr ludwig kit) I just installed Aquarian Performance II's and classic clear resonants on toms. I have Focux-X and classic clear res. on the snare and I have the Bass II aquarian kick head set (they're like studio-X). I like that combo.

But I wonder, since they don't make 16" bass heads, I'm gonna have to go for floor tom heads. In my last setup (on the current kit) I took out the internal "pillow" and I really like the sound - it has that punch and short attack, but has just a touch of "boom" to complement the bass guitar. (I do use a pad and a wood beater). I'm trying to decide what to get for the new 18" kick - either a Performance II (batter) and Classic Clear (res.) or maybe Studio-X (batter or maybe on both sides?).

Since I usually play with others (unmiked jams) I need the drums to cut through without making bass/guitars muddy. I have definitely "grown up" to not liking "deadened" drums - no mufflers, I am giving away the studio rings with the old kit.

I'm sorry for the lengthy post, but I thought the more info/background I give, the better. Thanks!

Last edited:
I gotta say, the kit looks very nice. Anyway, not sure if there was a question in your post, but I know Remo do 18" bass drum heads so you shouldn't have to use a tom head.

Enjoy your kit mate.

Thanks, man! I know, this kit is a real "surprize" as far as GP's rep. But it also might be due to certain brand infatuation - it's the same with guitar/bass folks. Some people just can't hear/see a good instrument unless it say "Pearl" or "Fender" (or whatever) on it. I am beyond that. there's plenty of pearl kits I've seen that are just "bleh", etc. Each instrument needs to be seen/played/felt to judge it.

Would it really be so terrible to use tom heads on kick? I mean, conceptually, what's the big diff? Should I maybe go for 2-ply or maybe heavy single-ply? It's not so much about the brand (although I seem to like Aquarians for consistency and ease of tuning) but bass heads are just so expensive :) and those who have 18" heads seem to charge for them MORE than 22".

but yes, the main question is which would be the best tom head type to use as kick.

I gotta say, the kit looks very nice. Anyway, not sure if there was a question in your post, but I know Remo do 18" bass drum heads so you shouldn't have to use a tom head.

Enjoy your kit mate.

I built a compact kit similar to the Slingerland Expresso using a 16'' tom as the kick. I have used Remo Pinstripes as well as Evans Genera clear heads succesfully. I am not big into muffling but I had to use some door jam insulation to achieve the desired effect. I wouldn't use a single ply head because of the constant "beating" and pressure.

I have a Mapex Voyager with an 18" kick. It's not converted, it was built as a kick. I use an Evans EMAD, it wasn't too expensive - around £30 I think, whereas a 20" EMAD is £35-ish

I think this helps - so the idea is to get a sturdy batter, like a 2-ply? what about resonant?

I like my current set (22" kick) with a port hole in the resonant head (off-center). Any reasons not to have a port in the smaller kick?

I built a compact kit similar to the Slingerland Expresso using a 16'' tom as the kick. I have used Remo Pinstripes as well as Evans Genera clear heads succesfully. I am not big into muffling but I had to use some door jam insulation to achieve the desired effect. I wouldn't use a single ply head because of the constant "beating" and pressure.

CORRECTION: I'm sorry, the kick is 16", I always forget that, even with my current 16" floor tom, I always think "18".

16" kick drum! Sorry :rolleyes:

I would certainly use a 2 ply for your 16" kick. The Evan's Emad heads can really help fatten up the sound of a small kick (I use Emad on my 18" kick) - but I don't know if they make a 16" EMad.

As far as I'm aware the 18" is the smallest, and finding somewhere that stocks them without having to order is a nightmare...

As for cutting a hole, I think it'd make a lot of sense to get the mic right in the kick, you don't get a lot of 'boom' so I can't see the point in miking from the outside on such a small drum.

I think I've narrowed it down to a pair of identical Studio-X's - here's my reasoning: the typical Aquarian (and other similar) bass heads are 1-ply "warm" for the resonant side (and usually has a felt ring or some such) and the batter side can either be a 1-ply or a 2-ply, also with a felt ring.

I can't find an Aquarian 2-ply with the felt ring, like Studio-X, so I figured that since I'll use a pad (or maybe a power dot) durability should be taken care of. It's probably the closest match to their "bass system".

whatcha think?

P.S. I tend to think a small hole for the mic too - it probably can't hurt, I can always cut it with those reinforcement ring stickers. I wonder if it'd be better off in the center or towards the side (considering the small size).

THANKS!

Back