Transposing midi game music to digital and real instruments

futur_axiom

Hello all,

I am new here.
I would like to take a midi made music like the music that was recorded for amiga
games back in 90's and make a remix with keys and other instruments.

I currently have:
A midi keyboard oxygen 61, an electric guitar and a bass.
i also have Line6 UX1 multi-effect processor for the guitar.
I also have a i5 2,6GHz with 8Gb RAM. I think is enough.
I found 1,2 books about computer music production like : Audio Engineering 101 and Music Theory for Computer Musicians

I mainly play guitar for about 10 years( i have general music knowledge), bass, i had purchased the keys in order to learn
sometime.

Any suggestions on what program i should use? How to record drums?
Or in general a good way to start doing the above....

I have a sample of what i have in mind.
AmigaRemix - The place for Amiga Game- and Demo-music Remixes!
This site has recordings of what i want to do for instance.

Thank you in advance.

If you have midi, you can run most of it through various VSTis (e.g. ezdrummer, etc.). Midi is essentially sheet music for virtual instruments.
Without any real processing, that should give you a decent "mid-fi" sound: It'll be higher quality than the original (quadphonic?) hardware, but not real sounding. It'll sound more like late 90s VG music.

You could also potentially learn how to sight-read midi and play the parts on live instruments

I listened to a clip or two but it's hard to tell what they've done without knowing more.

Are they taking original soundtracks and adding things to them, or is this all 100% new sounds from the original midi data?

If the latter, VHS is bang right. You'd need the original midi files.
If not, you'd just need any decent recordings software and some virtual instruments of your choosing.
Maybe Reaper for a DAW, something like XLN Audio Addictive Drums or SSD4 for kit...most daws have some kind of build in synth for basic strings, keys etc.
Does Reaper have that, anyone?

Reaper doesn't come with much for actual usable instruments. It has some rather crude synths and samplers that can be strung together to make things happen, but that ain't for newbs and it's really not even worth it when there is so much good freeware out there.

Well they have taken the original midi song and have made a more modern sound out of it.
They have surely added somethings too.

Thanks for the response.
I have Ableton. it came with the U1. will this do??

Well they have taken the original midi song and have made a more modern sound out of it.
They have surely added somethings too.

Hey again,
Unfortunately, that doesn't clear up the important bit.

If they've taken the midi data then they'll have chosen and tailored their own instruments and sounds.
Think of midi as sheet music for a computer. It basically is.
Sure, they may have added stuff on top too, but if they're using their own instruments to perform the original 'score' that's going to be a big deal.

Alternatively they could have taken the original sound track, as it sounds, and added stuff on top.
That's much simpler.
I suppose it'd retain the retro vibe and any nostalgia, whilst injecting something new.

Those two different approaches require two different sets of tools, with some overlap.

Back