Transparent MicPre with a RODE NT3?

Eastale

What would be a transperant sounding mic preamplifier matched with a RODE NT3 for hip-hop vocals????

...Rode NT3 for vocals?...hiphop or otherwise, wrong...small diaphragm condenser mics are better suited to instrument miking...large diaphragm condenser mics and dynamic mics are more effective for vocal tracking...

NT-3 is a good vocal mic on the right voice... The general rule is that you use a soft mic for a hard voice and vice versa. As the NT-3 is a bright,edgey mic, a soft voice is it's best use.
I own several NT-3's as well as a K2 and NT-2. They all get used on vocals at various times depending on, as I said, the voice. Dynamic mics are good too for strong vocal styles as stated earlier... but good preamp is a must.
At the end of the day every voice has it's own best mic and you need to try lots to find the best.

P.S. The preamp choice depends mainly on your budget. If your cashed up go AVALON or SEBATRON. If your cash limited look at ALTO or even BEHRINGER.
(Please no bagging Behringer, I'm sick of hearing the gear snobs saying how bad it is.. I've won awards recording through their preamps so they can't be that bad. More often than not it's the person using the gear that's the problem)

RDMSstudio said:
(Please no bagging Behringer, I'm sick of hearing the gear snobs saying how bad it is.. I've won awards recording through their preamps so they can't be that bad. More often than not it's the person using the gear that's the problem)
You win the award for the dumbest thing I've read today too. :D

DAV BG-1 for transparency...do some searches on gearslutz and here for it.

Not expensive either.

Rode NT3 for vocals?...hiphop or otherwise, wrong...small diaphragm condenser mics are better suited to instrument miking...large diaphragm condenser mics and dynamic mics are more effective for vocal tracking...

thats a generalization and doesnt always ring true. I use LD mics on Instruments all the time. It totally depends on the situation and more importantly, the ears of the end user. There are no definites. Ive been in a studio more than once and seen vocalists singing through SDCs and seen instruments being micd with u87s/u89s, etc..

RDMSstudio said:
P.S. The preamp choice depends mainly on your budget. If your cashed up go AVALON or SEBATRON. If your cash limited look at ALTO or even BEHRINGER.

Bad advice. I own both Behringer and Alto preamps and there are much better (quieter/cleaner) options for similar or only slightly more money.

You could trial any of the Focusrite pres -

I use a NTK and a Trakmaster (original model) and it solves more problems than it creates. Especially with the digital I/O option retrofitted

Clean clean clean.

Back