Transistor Radio Type Effect?

metalupurass45

Hey guys i was wondering how i would EQ part of a vocal track to give it that like old radio sound effect on it. Its hard to explain but it is heard in a lot of modern recordings.

Thanks!

Throw a 100Hz highpass and 4kHz lowpass on it. Then if you need to, grunge it up with a truncation to 12 or even 8 bits :eek:

Throw a 100Hz highpass and 4kHz lowpass on it. Then if you need to, grunge it up with a truncation to 12 or even 8 bits :eek:

Depends on what material you're trying to process but 100Hz highpass will make very little difference to most vocal material. I'd make it higher, much higher. Most small transistor radios would struggle to reproduce anywhere near as low as 100hz. Just listen and hear for yourself.

cheers Tim

If you want to make it sound like someone is trying to tune in the station resonant filter sweeps can do the trick quite nicely. You still need to eq it to get that thin radio sound the bit reduction will make it grainy then sweep a bandpass resonant filter up and down a few time at the beginning to get that tuning in a radio sound. Maybe even throw a little white noise in there.

I have an example of how that sounds I can try and post it up once I get home from work.

Another way to do it that sounds REALLY dirty is to record the vocals on an old tape deck and then mic that. Sounds like total shit ............ in a good way.;)

If you are going to go for a plug-in, I find that the "telephone" effect with some distortion sounds more like an AM radio than most actual "radio" plugs. But the ISOTOPE stuff is very good, too.

I've also taken apart a cheap telephone and used the mic. It sounds like a telephone, as I recall.

This is a great plugin for those effects:
http://www.kvraudio.com/get/2083.html

Also, if you have a resonant filter plugin, add it to your track and set it for bandpass mode. Tweak the cutoff and resonance controls and you can get anything from extreme shortwave radio to nice old vintage recording sounds. Just go easy on the resonance so it doesn't squeal like crazy.

you can just eq and it works fine.

find the "resonant" frequency area of the vocal by boosting your mid eq all the way (sorry i'm speaking in 'board speak' - around 1K) and sweeping the frequencies until you hear what you like. take out everything below 500 Hz or so. adjust the Q to something that isn't so "resonant-y" sounding...there ya go. ..you're glen campbell.

i'll also reamp stuff thru an amplifier (pig nose type stuff is neat) or distort an input or output somewhere...but the eq thing works well.

Mike

This is a great plugin for those effects:
http://www.kvraudio.com/get/2083.html

Also, if you have a resonant filter plugin, add it to your track and set it for bandpass mode. Tweak the cutoff and resonance controls and you can get anything from extreme shortwave radio to nice old vintage recording sounds. Just go easy on the resonance so it doesn't squeal like crazy.

I think I'm doing something wrong. I hear the little sound at the beginning but then nothing except noise. I'm pretty sure I'm not using it right, I just added the FX onto a track in Reaper, is there something else I need to do?

Back