Transformers

I bow out of this. I am not great at communicating my thoughts.

Ebeam,

If you don't think what happens at high frequency, even in the MHZ effects what you hear under 20KHZ then I don't know what to say. You are right, this has been hashed to death many times over. I just can't understand how you can lop off upper harmonics and and think the timber of the sound below 20khz is not affected?

NWSM

No, you communicate great, but you are just wrong. ;) The sample reate does not alter our perception. It may fuck up the sound, but it doens't alter our perception of it.

We don't know if chopping off everything over 20kHz alters the perceived timbre of a sound. But remember that most analog recorders chops it of as well, so....

http://www.endino.com/graphs/

Again, what makes these recorders sound great is not their accuracy. It's their INaccuracy that gives them that warm smooth analog sound.

regebro said:
No, you communicate great, but you are just wrong. ;) The sample reate does not alter our perception. It may fuck up the sound, but it doens't alter our perception of it.

We don't know if chopping off everything over 20kHz alters the perceived timbre of a sound. But remember that most analog recorders chops it of as well, so....
I don't know about that... what if the recording was to be used for a scientific study with dogs, whales, or something that hears higher freq's than humans... could that alter our perception?

No, it would not "alter our perception". Two pieces of equipment may sound different. We don't know how the frequency response above 20k affects the sound, becuase nobody has made any scientific study of it.

A scientific study has been made by some japanese scientists. The tests were somewhat weird and In my own personal view, I don't know how significant were the results at the end. In brief, the test they had subjects listening blind to digital audio with anti alias filter, and then HD digital audio. These guys analized the subject's brain waves and they found out there was indeed some kind of stimulus going on. Problem is that, for these tests, a very expensive, hifi custom system with very specialized converters was used, something not representative of what the gross of people have access too, and then, also, it isn't really clear if this stimulus is conscious, not is it clear if it was produced by means of our auditory system. The system used to analyze the brain waves did show the stimulus, but the subjects when prompted out none of them were sure or able to describe if there was a difference, and if there was, what was precisely the difference they were hearing.
For anyone interested, the whole test can be found here:
http://jn.physiology.org/cgi/reprint/83/6/3548

NWSM-

Well, I'm not saying that there is possitively no effect of the higher frequencies, cause I don't really know that to be true. Its just that your argument about time differences between the ears and sample rate didn't make sense to me.

In general, most of our reproduction systems aren't even capable of reproducing such high frequencies. I think we have reason to doubt when people claim to hear the effects of higher sample rates. I haven't heard of a well excecuted blind test yet that came to this conclusion - mostly just marketing hype and informal observations. Personally, I have had the opportunity to do informal tests at higher sample rates on my Lynxtwo and, well, I'm recording at 44.1.

Also, as long as CDs and low quality media like mp3s are the main distribution form, you not only have to prove that the higher frequencies have an effect on the listener, but that they somehow have an effect on the 'audible' spectrum after SRC because thats all anyone is going to hear anyway.

Basically, I think regebro is right on.

Rossi said:
Harvey, I think you're right and not right at the same time.

Talking about a square wave and about harmonics is two ways of looking at the same phenomenon. Thus, a square wave is or is not a sine wave, depending on how you look at it. If you remain in the realm of harmonics and limit yourself to the audible frequencies, a 7,500 Hz square wave is the same as a 7,500 Hz sine wave. Rise time, too, is a way of looking at frequency response. Digital has exactly the rise time it takes to reproduce frequencies within its bandwith. No more no less.

The question remains: do the frequencies above the audible range (which for most people is far less than 20 kHz) make a difference? I think this question is very difficult to answer. I don't think you could hear a difference with a simple square wave or any test signal. Also keep in mind, that few instruments produce frequencies above the audible range.
Nonetheless, I think it's perfectly possible that you could hear a difference in a full blown production with many instruments and lots of harmonics - audible or not - interacting with each other.

And yes, from a pure guts standpoint, well engineered analog productions do sound better to me than digital productions, even when "reduced" to 16bit 44,1 CD format in the final stage.

Whether freq's above 20k are important, or not importatnt I cannot say. What I can say is that for those frequencies is that few speaker systems can reproduce frequencies that high with any real power. This is true of analog systems like cassette and LP. Both of these analog systems sound nothing like the multi-track version of the mastered version of the songs. CD is such a badly chosen format because of the 16/44.1Khz format.
When they go to 32/96Khz format, then the CD will be a great sounding format.

32 is such ridicoulous overkill that it's just silly. But 24/96, yes, that is definitely better than the 16/44.1 format, which really is the minimum requirement for any digital format.

Just listen to a Emulator 2, which I think is 30kHz and uses a non-linear D/A that has the same synamic range as 14-bits. And is sounds very dark and grainy. Now, I LOVE that soud. One of my favourite albums is made almost entirely with an Emulator 2. But it aint exactly hifi. :)

I haven't hear anything above 24/96, but those who have seem say that it doesn't sound any different. Maybe you have other references?

regebro said:
32 is such ridicoulous overkill that it's just silly.

Yeah, especially given the hyper-compressed music thats being put out these days. Really, 16bit for distribution is plenty for 90% of today's popular music. Maybe if people started making music with dynamics again, 24 bit would be cool. For certain genres (eg classical, etc.) 24/96 would definitely be an immediate improvement.

Transformers? uh...

Hi. I've never posted to this forum before, and perhaps I'm making a mistake by replying to a long dead thread, and doing so by bringing back a topic that the thread drifted away from even longer ago. You'll all think I'm an idiot, for sure. But, although I enjoyed reading the entire thread quite a bit, I wasn't sure if anyone earnestly addressed the original subject. Maybe that's because some of the answers are kind of common knowlege. Whatever. I'm going to throw in my two cents anyway.

chessrock said:
This is just sort of a general question/topic . . .

I've been noticing a trend lately in a lot of the audio gear that I like. It's a sonic thing. Anyway, I'm kinda' digging the sound of stuff that has transformers. I don't know why that is . . . and I realize it's a very general statement because there are obviously going to be a lot of different factors that make something sound good, etc. etc.

I think that one reason that transformer balanced stuff, especially newer stuff on the market (that's appeared since electronic balancing became a reasonable possiblility), tends to sound good is just because of the simple fact that transformers are so expensive. An audio quality transformer is generally going to be the most expensive single component in a device, and by a huge margin. If a designer is serious enough to include one or two, that means it's not a device that's designed with budget as the first priority in mind. So the superior sound quality isn't necessarily due to the transformer, but the presence of a transformer is more like a symptom, in this case of a rigorous, no compromise design. That said, certainly there a lot of very high quality designs that don't use transformers, such as Sytek's very nice instrumentation type front end, it's just that usually if there's a transformer in there, you can sort of reason that other corners were probably not cut.

I'm just going to throw this out there, but to anyone out there with an opinion . . . how much do think the Xformer contributes to something's sound? What are your favorite Xformers and how do they differ from one another?

When I listen to something with a Jensen in it, for example, it tends to sound pretty transparent -- like why do they even bother? :D With other stuff, I can definitely hear something going on -- and it isn't always a good thing, either. Sometimes, I think I can hear it actually doing something kinda' nasty. :D For anyone who might know: Does a lot of the sound have to do with what kind of transformer is being used; or does it have to do with how the Xformer is implemented in it's design? I'm assuming it's probably a little of both.

I know that some people these days are really into a transformer "sound", and I 'm willing to acknowlege that there is such a thing. Still, I think the best transformers shouldn't and indeed don't have a sound. A good transformer is able to pass a signal with less coloration than the usual coupling alternative in low impedance chains -- large microfarad value electrolytic capacitors.

When they do have a sound, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it breaks down in two basic ways.

1) High frequency resonance. We habitually think of frequency response curves as sagging downwards at both ends of the rating, falling at 20 Hz and falling at 20kHz or whatever, but almost all transformers' upper rated limits are actually bounded by a RISE in frequency response rather than a fall (the rise is a resonant peak that's quickly followed by a fall). This HF resonance, as we all know, causes transformers to create a ringing when hit with transients. Depending on the frequency and Q of the resonance this can seem to either add grit or buzz or a pleasant sense of air. Resonance problems are oftem eliminated with low pass or band reject network across the transformer's secondary, or sometimes simply by the Miller capacitance of a triode in the first gain stage.

2) Low frequency distortion. If you send an AC signal through a transformer and measure it's peak or even RMS value with a simple volt meter, you'll usually find that low frequencies are represented much better than the transformer's response rating. That is, the transformer claims it's only good down to 50 Hz, but at 10 Hz you've got peak to peak output that's nearly identical to 100 Hz. This is because a transformer's low frequency cutoff rating is usually bounded not by absolute level, but by distortion. Somebody said that transformers are much less likely to clip than amplifiers. True, transformers aren't usually going to exactly clip, but they do saturate nevertheless, and also exhibit distortion due to hysterisis, or the inertial magnetic qualities of the iron. Both of these types of distortions are more significant at low frequencies. Both modes of distortion are harmonic, which means that the transformer adds higher frequencies of sound to the signal in sympathy with the low frequency content. I think this is probably why people often say transformers can add low end punch. It's easier to hear those added higher frequency components than the very low stuff, but your ear still associates them with the lower frequency fundamentals...the bass seems bigger without actually increasing in absolute level. And you don't necessarily hear it as distortion because the low midrange all the way to the top isn't distorted at all.

Input transformers often have high winding ratios -- stepping up the voltage of the signal a lot -- and are often designed with minimizing size as a priority. As a result, I think they tend to create the problems mentioned above more often than other types. High ratio inputs designed for tubes often exhibit MUCH worse high frequency ringing than other types. For example if you compare an Altec/Peerless 4722 with a 50,000 ohm secondary to an Altec/Peerless 15095 with a 15,000 ohm secondary you see a much bigger rise, even though they're made by the same company and (I presume) wound on the same core. The 4722 goes for more money on the used market than the 15095 because it's "TUBE", but I'd rather use a 15095 as a tube input, because what it sacrifices in gain, it makes up for in clarity and balance. That's the same reason Jensen doesn't even make a transformer with a typical 50,000 ohm or higher "tube" secondary, but instead recomends the JE-115 with a 15,000 secondary.

Probably my favorite mic input transformer was made by Haufe in west germany. Haufe made the input transformers for the Telefunken V72 and V76. They have a highish ratio of around 1:12 (300 to 50,000), but have just about the smoothest, most precise but also extended high end of any high ratio step-up. I'm not just saying that because of the way the Telefunken modules sound either, by the way. I have a bag of about thirty of these Haufe inputs sitting on my shelf, and have been using them in various circuits. They're amazing. There are a few other extremely well designed and built german transformers with similar remarkable qualities (including the tiny little Beyers that Ampex used in their tube preamps) but the Haufes are the best of them IMHO. Although they're really only designed for mic levels (you'd have to pad line levels before the primary for best performance), I'd take them any day of the week before a UTC A-10, or the more commonplace (and excellent, of course) Jensen JE-115.

Well, I've been writing for pretty close to an hour. What an ass. I guess I'll stop now.

Ned

Thanks for the great post. I really enjoyed reading it and learned a few things, though some of it's a little out of my league.

Maybe you could expound a paragraph or three on this:
Ned C said:
A good transformer is able to pass a signal with less coloration than the usual coupling alternative in low impedance chains -- large microfarad value electrolytic capacitors.
I'd always thought that capacitive coupling was cleaner and less colored than inductive, because of the characteristics of transformers that you mentioned in your post.

Thanks Ned, that was an excellent post.
I agree that transformers are superior to electrolytics. When people talk about transformers they often forget the alternatives. And when it comes to microphone preamps the alternative usually is large electrolytics. Since the input impedance is relatively low, you need high capacitance, and the only inexpensive alternative is electrolytics. High quality polyprop caps would be nice, but 2x (say) 50µF is about as expensive as a very decent transformer. Although, you could design a very high impedance input (say 10 Kohms) and get away with much smaller capacitors. 2x 5µF would do, I guess.

crazydoc said:
Ned

Thanks for the great post. I really enjoyed reading it and learned a few things, though some of it's a little out of my league.

Maybe you could expound a paragraph or three on this:

I'd always thought that capacitive coupling was cleaner and less colored than inductive, because of the characteristics of transformers that you mentioned in your post.

Hi. I admit that I might have been a bit black and white about electrolytics and transformers and the one being better than the other. I think electrolytics DO get a bad rap, sometimes more than they deserve, simply because in the old days they really and truly were ONLY for power supplies, and were not even remotely suitable for audio. But that's not true anymore, and actually hasn't been universally true since probably at least the 60's-70's.

It's probably easier to hear a really BAD transformer than it is to hear an average run of the mill audio quality electrolytic capacitor. The point was that GOOD transformers may color the meat of the sound to a lesser extent than run of the mill coupling caps. A "good" transformer will have the characteristics I mentioned, but only very very minimally, and occasionally not at all. The Haufe transformers I mentioned, for example, have a very smooth rolloff above 20,000 Hz and no high frequency resonant peak, and thus no "ring" that I've been able to measure. But....there are also good and bad coupling caps, you know, and really there are even electrolytics that are not anywhere near terrible for audio, and designs that will minimize the electrolytic problems. For example, I have a Neotek Series II board that has an ultra-clean sound, and each channel has electrolytic caps in the path.

The main thing, I believe, is that the way transformers change a sound that passes through them, even when it measures on test equipment as being bigger than the way electrolytic caps change the sound, is something that's more difficult for our ears to hear as being bad, or even as being there. transformers mostly distort low frequency waves, but everything from low-mids to ultra sonics are passed with very low distortion, so we don't particularly hear what distortion is there as being distortion. Electrolytic caps can add a kind of distorion that may be meaure at much lower level, but that affects all frequencies, and so is easier to hear. It's kind of (not exactly) like the difference between a really expensive high fi tube amp, and a run of the mill solid state amp. The run of the mill SS receiver probably has better test bench numbers than an expensive tube amp, but when audiophile guys drool over the tube amp, it's not because they think of it as a really cool distortion box. It may add some color or signature, but the impression of the sound by ears is actually "cleaner" than the gritty, hard sounding SS amp. That's because some types of distortion are glaringly easy to hear even when they measure very low, and other types conceal themselves from the ear very easily.

The second "coloration" I mentioned -- the high frequency resonance -- isn't actually distortion, but simply a boost at a certain frequency, rarely more than a 3 decibel boost (I would consider anything much more than 3 dB to go in the BAD category). The boost is not really different and doesn't affect the signal in a different way than adding a three decibel boost with peaking mixer eq, which usually isn't going to make the signal sound "dirty". And the frequency of the boost is more often than not somewhere above what our ears can actually hear.

The purpose of this post IS to hedge my other statements. Transformers may not be UNIVERSALLY better than electrolytics. But I don't want to hedge too much. Let me be clear -- designers have to be very careful when using electrolytics. They DO add both phase and level distortions, they slow down the signal, and can have dramatic resonances in the audio band. These problems are all increased both with higher current and higher component value, and the bad news is that as circuit impedance decreases, current increases AND higher value caps MUST be used to maintain good bass response. Electrolytic caps <i>in low impedance circuits</i> should be viewed as a very real potential menace.

Thanks Ned - very clear and understandable.

Could you clarify the difference between an "audio" cap and a non-audio cap, impedance considerations aside. I assume it resides in the construction of the capacitor - thickness, material and windings of the anodes, type of electrolyte, physical dimensions, etc.

BTW, here's a link for anyone interested in capacitors - I haven't had time to delve into it, but the book and the site look like more than I'll ever want to know about caps. :)
http://www.faradnet.com/deeley/book_toc.htm

Again, thanks for taking the time to explain this stuff.

Hey, Ned. Nat here (speaking of little Beyer transformers). Please spend more than a reasonable amount of time time posting here. This board (all message boards) could use as many technically minded persons who've actually done the things they're talking about as it can get.

Good stuff. Thanks for taking the time to write it out.

Back