transfers VF160 --> pc

wizzzard

I'm about to buy the VF160 (comes without the optional cd-rw here in Belgium). How can a transfer tracks & songs to my pc for final mixing and burnig to cd (there's no usb on this beauty). I've noticed a few topics about this item, but I keep asking myself, whats the use of selling a VF160 without the writer onboard.

Great site guys, keep on goin'

wizzz

Last edited:
I'm not sure of the answer, obviously there's the SCSI port, but the ADAT or S/PDIF (toslink) might be the best. The PC soundcard would have to have S/PDIF. Some do. Would it be cheaper for you to get a soundcard with S/PDIF or to wait and get a VF160 with the CDR?

This should be of help:

If you want to do editing, mixing in your PC, you need to transfer "unmixed" version of audio to the PC.

In this case you need to use "Wave file save" described in the O/M.
If you perform Wave save function, VF-16, VF160 write wave file for each track, if you choose to save 16 tracks, you will have 16 wave files in the selected media. The property of the wave file is 44.1Khz sample rate, 16 bit, mono track. The file name convention is explained in details in the O/M.

VF160

Wave file transfer can be done via compatible SCSI drive or on-board CD-R(CD-1A).
Note 1: Wave file transfer via on-board CD-R requires Version 1.10 and up on VF160 software.
The compatible SCSI Drive: Iomega SCSI Zip 250MB, Plextor PX-W1210tse (External SCSI CD-R made by Plextor). Sorry SCSI Orb, or external SCSI Hard drives are NOT compatible.
Since you can do it via CD-1A, you don't really need SCSI devices on VF160.

To save to on-board CD-R of the VF160, please follow the outline;
Save PGM
IDE
BkUP
WAV
Clipboard Export Off or On
Source PGM Select to select Program to be saved.
Save Track Selection---All Tracks
Desstin(nation) WAV Select to select Wave file name if you want to change from the Program Name.

Note 2:You don't have to format a blank CD-R for wave file back up, or for any CD-1A operation for that matter.

Once you saved as a wave file, you should see 16 wave files on the disk (if you chose to save all 16 tracks), remove the disk from Fostex and put is to the CD-ROM in your computer.

Then import to your application program.

VF-160 Audio Transfer to the PC

1. If you want to make an audio CD by using CD-R in your computer, you just need to transfer stereo mix of your recording in VF-160. In this case, simply connect ST L/R (Stereo Left and Right out) of the VF-160 to the LINE IN of your soundcard.
If your sound card has S/PDIF optical input, you can use digital connection.
In this case, make sure SETUP "Digital out=SPDIF", Set your sample rate and bit depth of your recording program to 44.1Khz/16 bit.

2. If you want to do an editing and mixing in your favorite software program, then you need to transfer "unmixed" audio, that is, individual track, to the PC as Wave file.
For this you need a compatible SCSI drive.

How do you save as a Wave file on VF-16?

1. Things you need;

A: One of the compatible SCSI Drives:

· Iomega SCSI Zip drive (100/250MB). (On any software version of the VF-16) with proper 25-50 pin adapter

· Plextor external SCSI CD-R, Model PX-W1210TSE. or PlexWriter 40112tse Exteranal SCSI CD-R from Plextor.

· This is the new addition to the list; however, you need Version V.3.13 and on VF-160.

Unfortunately the above drives are only compatible SCSI drives for Wave file transfer. *Iomega Jaz drive is dropped off from the compatible list due to inconsistent performance (Nov.02)

Castlewood Orb drive, external SCSI hard disks are not listed as compatible drives.

B: PCI SCSI Adapter for your PC. (To connect the SCSI drive to format or import to your PC).

*If you have the above Plextor drive and VF-160s software version of V.3.13, you dont need SCSI PCI Adapter for your PC, once you save to the Plextor CD-R, take the CD-R disk from the Plextor drive and load it to CD-ROM player of your PC.

C: Application Programs to import WAVE files, such as Cakewalk Sonar or Cubase.

Note:

You CANNOT connect a SCSI cable between your PC and VF-160 to do wave file transfer, it must be saved to the compatible drive first.

Ok, thanks a lot. Seems like the writer is about the same price as the adat-card. Think I'll go for the optional writer then.

Again, thanx 4 your posts!

wizzz

wizzzard said:
Ok, thanks a lot. Seems like the writer is about the same price as the adat-card. Think I'll go for the optional writer then.

Again, thanx 4 your posts!

wizzz

The internal CD writer is a must have. In addition to transferring files to PC you can take backups of your songs to CDRWs, easily perform firmware upgrades and easily write you song to audio CDs in order to check your mixes in other places such as car stereo etc.

hi there. long gone thread.

wondering if there is a possibility to save to a PC via a scsi-adapter --->USB
some yeaers since thread was created. any updates (since you wrote it's not possible) ?

peace/ david

Back