transfering recordings to computer

Connect the outputs of your portastudio to the inputs on your sound card.......

Start your recording s/w - create a new file......

Press PLAY on your Portastudio and RECORD on your s/w and off you go!

the details

unless you have a high end soundcard with special inputs, you'll probably be dealing with 1/8" inputs. your multitracker is probably going to have RCA outs (the red and white ones). go to your nearest radioshack and get a cable that has RCA plugs on one end and a 1/8" plug on the other. go home and plug the RCA end into the multitracker and the 1/8" into the mic/line in jack on your soundcard. open up any program that lets you record audio...any software will be compatible because it's just recording the sound that comes in from the mic input. press play on your multitracker and click record on the software. stop when the song/series of songs is done.

-max

Re: the details

althofma said:
unless you have a high end soundcard with special inputs, you'll probably be dealing with 1/8" inputs. your multitracker is probably going to have RCA outs (the red and white ones). go to your nearest radioshack and get a cable that has RCA plugs on one end and a 1/8" plug on the other. go home and plug the RCA end into the multitracker and the 1/8" into the mic/line in jack on your soundcard. open up any program that lets you record audio...any software will be compatible because it's just recording the sound that comes in from the mic input. press play on your multitracker and click record on the software. stop when the song/series of songs is done.

-max

Yep. They're $6.49.

another question, how on earth do I transfer a 15 year old cassette to my computer ensuring the best sound quality possible...of course, I´ll use a soundacard´s input. the thing is that my grandpa recorded himself playing guitar about 19 years ago in his room with a normal deck. That tape has been played for all these years and I wanted to get it in the computer, and try to clean it up, make it sound better and then burn it on a cd. I tried it before with a direct out from the deck to the soundcard, but the level was so weak that I had to normalize all the traks, and after adding some eq, pop removers and editing, they did not sound any better....Any suggestions????? Is is a lost cause?

hmm...if your signals are too weak straight from the deck, i would recommend getting your hands on a decent mixer so you can boost the signal before it goes through the soundcard...not sure if that would help any though, seeing as how you can't even achieve it with the tape deck itself.

-max

Yeah, I just got a Mackie 1604 VLZ, I'll try to transfer it using the preamps. Another thing that I encountered was that the guitar always seemed to be buried far back the speakers...I could never make it come forward or feel like it was at speaker level, take into consideration that no reverb was added or that the recording is very dry...

alonso said:
another question, how on earth do I transfer a 15 year old cassette to my computer ensuring the best sound quality possible...of course, I´ll use a soundacard´s input. the thing is that my grandpa recorded himself playing guitar about 19 years ago in his room with a normal deck. That tape has been played for all these years and I wanted to get it in the computer, and try to clean it up, make it sound better and then burn it on a cd. I tried it before with a direct out from the deck to the soundcard, but the level was so weak that I had to normalize all the traks, and after adding some eq, pop removers and editing, they did not sound any better....Any suggestions????? Is is a lost cause?
If quality and safe-handling of the cassette is your priority, then send it to a professional..... there are a few of us on this site!!

Man Blue Bear, great idea, the only thing is that that tape is his treasure, it took me long to convince him to give it to me, we live about 100 yards away. I don't think he'll approve the sending it to another country...oh I haven't told ya...I live in Costa Rica not in the States, and making a copy and working with that one would only make matters worse. Yeah, maybe I could send it to a pro here, but it would cost a lot of money to do it wouldn't it?

Back