Transfering/importing tracks to mix/master

zimmo

A friend asked me to help him get his second CD produced.
He just sent me three mp3s of new songs. Each with just a few tracks, I think 5 at most on the last song. Anyway, I have a BR1180 & lots of outboard gear, and he has recorded with N-tracks I believe.
I'm not sure what the best way to get his tracks to my recorder is. For those of you familiar, My unit can import wav files. I'm not sure what will work best. Is it possible to just have him burn his individual tracks to a cd? Then I would have the task of getting them all sync'ed together on my machine to remix, bounce to a stereo mix, and master for the final cd. The sync thing is the only real problem, right now. Or, will n-tracks when formatted to wav files, send info that the 1180 will be able to separate as tracks I can sync, and use? I haven't tried this before at all. I've done lot's of mixing, mastering...but with "MY Machines".
Sorry about the silly way this sounds, but, not being familiar with any other recording systems other than the 1180, a tascam 424 mk3, and an old Ross 4x4, has me at a serious disadvantage.
help?

Thanks NYm-star! He has burned the first three songs..tracks to wav files on a data cd, and also an audio cd with everything starting at "0". On the mp3 sample I recieved earlier, the gain seemed a little low on the whole thing, after I burned it to a cd to run through my desk & to the monitors. It did sound very good, but everything he'd recorded was without any effects, and panned dead center. I can fix those things, of course. Will probably double track the guitars and lead vocals, keys etc, to get some stereo imaging possibilities.
I wonder what the best way to boost the gain would be, with wav files. I know I can monitor the input from an audio track and increase the gain going in, with that method. Maybe the wav files won't be a problem, just adjust the slider in the remix process, hoping to have enough headroom & low distortion.
a/ crosses fingers.

If he tracked them decently you shouldn't have to increase the gain on the way in. When you mix down to stereo keep your main at 0db and don't let your meter push past -6db. That will leave you room to master the mixed down stereo track. Use a little compression on the stereo tracks to reduce the spikes and then normalize the track. That should increase the loudness plenty.

Thanks again!
I'll ask Matt, if he'd mind if I upload/post a link to an mp3 or two here, for folks to hear, once I've mixed & mastered them. He's really pressed for time on this project, as he wants this CD finished up, to sell at a big gig at Club Passim in Boston in late June. He's opening for Antje Duvekot.

zimmo said:
Thanks again!
I'll ask Matt, if he'd mind if I upload/post a link to an mp3 or two here, for folks to hear, once I've mixed & mastered them. He's really pressed for time on this project, as he wants this CD finished up, to sell at a big gig at Club Passim in Boston in late June. He's opening for Antje Duvekot.
That's big ??

Well, yeah it is. Matt Morrow is a twenty year old singer songwriter who's won a couple of songwriting contests & played at local festivals,gigs in his home state, period! This starts his first tour anywhere. Wouldn't you think it's "big"?? For him??? :cool:

NYMorningstar said:
When you mix down to stereo keep your main at 0db and don't let your meter push past -6db. That will leave you room to master the mixed down stereo track.

Can you please explain this?

zimmo said:
I wonder what the best way to boost the gain would be, with wav files. I know I can monitor the input from an audio track and increase the gain going in, with that method. Maybe the wav files won't be a problem, just adjust the slider in the remix process, hoping to have enough headroom & low distortion.
a/ crosses fingers.
You need to ask your buddy to send you the tracks at highest gain level.

FALKEN said:
Can you please explain this?
This isn't written in stone but it's an easy place to start.

Push your main fader up to 0 db and start with all the other faders at unity. To get a rough idea of what you have, import the tracks, move the track faders up, usually starting with the drums and bass to get a tight lower end. Use your effects where needed and work with the levels until you get the mix where you want it. Might take you hours before you get a mix you like. Don't let the monitor levels on the main fader exceed -6db. After you mix down to stereo, re-import that track and you'll have 6db of headroom left to master with.

I'd like to hear a couple tunes and wish Matt good luck for us. :)

not trying to hijack the thread, but I am curious how leaving 6 db creates 'headroom'. i dont need a basic guide on how to mix a song. just curious about how this is more favorable than peaking out around -1db or higher. sounds interesting.

Leaving an average volume level at -6db doesn't create headroom but it allows you to go back, compress the track, lowering the tallest peeks which does create added headroom. The track can then be normalized which raises all the peaks bringing up the RMS level and raising the perceived loudness. Keep in mind that doesn't necessarily improve the sound but it does make it louder.

Back