Transducers as drum mics?

Uladine

B-Band Drum Mics

Using a transducer to mic a drum has never even crossed my mind. It seems like it would just sound like garbage. A friend of mine sent me a link to the product above, and it got me to thinking. I'm still not convinced that they would be usable on their own, as I have yet to hear any sound samples from these things, but it seems they could possibly yield some interesting results if used in conjunction with regular microphones. Has anyone ever used these or anything similar? I know transducers are commonly used on electric acoustic guitars, but in my experience the output from the transducer never sounds as good as a microphone on the guitar. Consider me an extremely curious skeptic.

hmmm, I've never used them myself, but from what I've heard there usually used with a program called drumagog, so your basicly using it as a click track, but is the article is corret and they do have a great sound, the reason that you've never heard a good drum recording of them is becouse it sounds verry "detached" due to lack of bleed.

but I could be completly wrong, but..

hope this helps

Nick_Black

These are actually used to mic the sound of the drum though, direct to a mixer, as opposed to triggering a pre-recorded sample.

I've used contact mics and it works ok but changes the drum sound kind of dramatically. There's no way a tranducer can pick up the WHOLE head, it can only pick the part that it touches and that sound is pretty different from the sound you get in the air. They really work best for triggering.

man.. for $800, i can have (and could get the last part) d112, 3- 57's, an i5, and a pair of SM81's.

all used of course, but who cares!

BTW, technically a mic is a transducer. Anything that changes sound to electrical impulses OR electrical impulses into sound is a transducer.

Yea I was pretty much figuring they would sound crappy. Maybe thats why there are no sound samples available for these. One day if I have the time though, I might try plugging some of my old Ddrum triggers into a mixer to see exactly how poopy the sound is.

The Yamaha Subkick is actually a microphone with I believe an 8" diaphragm mounted in a wooden drumshell with a tunable mesh head over the "business side". I think they use a cone similar to that found in their old NS10 studio monitors. From what I've read, NS10s have been frequently put to use to capture the lower frequencies of kick drums/bass amps. I did some research on it, but couldn't justify paying the price for it as I almost always use triggers on the kick.

Back