Trade Marks

bdbdbucksKID

Hello People:

Anyone here had much experience with TM or SM issues? If so, please share. I am in line (or should I say in the market) for a Label TM and a Band TM/SM.
A step further...I think it is highway robbery charging by the class and for 350.00 a pop!!! You'd be pretty sure you're going to be in the industry!!!
Registration Classes starting out:
Sound Recordings (CD's and such) 350.00
Live Performing 350.00
Tee shirt and hat's, posters...350.00

TM atty's aren't cheap I guess.

Not to mention your own atty's fees to make sure everything's done right.
Then there's your first 1000 CD launch (after mastering...bout 5k)
Then circulation...blah blah blah...your time and energy....Lord Have Mercy!!
Anyway...back to the Trade Marks...anyone?

As far as TM/SM are concerned you can put a TM/SM symbol next to your name/logo without having to pay the 350. The catch is you could not be legally protected at the federal level. Thats really what the 350 is for and it is so you can use the (r) which gives you the right to protect your name in federal court. If you start using your name/logo on products or in advertising you can put a tm/sm symbol that allows you to 'basically show this is your design or image'. The best way to start is to create a name/logo combination then you only need to register it once and can place it on anything. Also if you are forming this label as say an LLC or something you would first want to make sure the name is available at the state and county level by filing a FBN (fictious business name statement) then you have coverage at the local level and go from there. TM/SM is a strange issue in that there is no one way to protect your name/logo, you must get covered in several ways. Reg at the fed level should be last. REMEMBER you can still use a TM/SM without reg, and if you start using it right away it will give you some coverage in that you can prove you have been using it in the marketplace- Hope all my rambling will help.

G

Yep

I found the same in my research...thing is I am interested in the (r)
Simply because the TM only symbolizes that you claim the mark....nothing more. With anyluck some fool will start running around with basement tyedies with my logo on it...and who exactly will be profiting...certainly not me.
Would you know much about the Statement of use?
Does the specimen need to have the (r) on it?

Back