Tracking without click

I was in a band that had sequencing on stage live, everyone played to drum loops and samples (which are really click tracks) it took a bit of practice but in the end everyone in the band was a far better player for it. The key is Practice.

Alan.

Has anyone mentioned how difficult it is to keep time when the bass player is wanking away with "feel" and the guitarist is playing ahead of the beat and then bitching about the song speeding up? Maybe all of you stringed instrument players should set up a metronome and check yoself b4 you wreck yoself. I have only twice in all my years heard a guitar player that could play to a click without fucking up repeatedly. I even had one say my click was off in Cubase. Checked it against a stand alone digital metronome and he actually had the balls to say that I had messed with it because they were both uneven. Guitar players suck at keeping time. Keyboard players tend to be worse.

You need to find better musicians. :laughings:

When I was playing out in the last project I was in. I had the guitar tracks (studio pre recorded ones) and a click track fed to my ears.

You could sync the studio versions with the live versions.

Has anyone mentioned how difficult it is to keep time when the bass player is wanking away with "feel" and the guitarist is playing ahead of the beat and then bitching about the song speeding up? Maybe all of you stringed instrument players should set up a metronome and check yoself b4 you wreck yoself. I have only twice in all my years heard a guitar player that could play to a click without fucking up repeatedly. I even had one say my click was off in Cubase. Checked it against a stand alone digital metronome and he actually had the balls to say that I had messed with it because they were both uneven. Guitar players suck at keeping time. Keyboard players tend to be worse.

Tip: Look for guitarists that either have been/are also drummers, or have experience as audio-engineers/producers. They'll be a lot more likely to have internal rhythm than people who have only played the guitar and nothing else. Plus, they won't be as much of a nightmare to work with because they'll be able to think outside of their "guitarist bubble".

Tip: Look for guitarists that either have been/are also drummers, or have experience as audio-engineers/producers. They'll be a lot more likely to have internal rhythm than people who have only played the guitar and nothing else.

I don't think that's any kind of absolute, though.
It all comes down to how you were trained (or how you trained yourself) to play.
Proper/traditional training will always focus heavily on timing, whether it's guitar, piano, sax, drums...etc.
There's absolutely no reason why guitar players would automatically have any less "internal rhythm"...unless they simply avoided the proper training and timing exercises.

Now you may be right on some level, simply due lots of young players not bothering to work on timing...and instead, all they focus on are licks, tricks and speed, and they just learn to copy shit note-for-note without thinking about the rhythmic context that they are playing in...but all music, all playing has a rhythmic/timing component, no matter what the instrument.

Not to mention...I've played with drummers who also can't keep time worth a shit....and they too call it "playing with feel" when you point out their poor timing. :D

Back