Tracking Room Ceiling Question

SMC Productions

I'm finishing up my new Tracking Room, and have a question about the ceiling. The room has 13 foot ceilings, to start. I have lots of 703 panels, and VERY thick corner treatments so far, and the room sounds pretty sweet already.

The ceiling is 'made' from 7/16 OSB, with R19 insulation on top, and 2x6 'exposed' beams for frames underneath. I want to fill in the 'exposed 2x6 frame with another layer of R19 and use again the 7/16 OSB for a 'finished' ceiling.
Now to the question, as you have the background. Should I 'strip' the paper vapor barrier off the R19? Should I just use 1x slats, instead of the OSB and space them for added treatment?

TNX in advance!

if you're finishing the ceiling as you describe, then the paper backing shouldn't matter all that much.

You'll still have HF reflections happening off the ceiling, though. One option is suspended ceiling under the beams. Then you can play with your room's sound by switiching out various materials in the 2x2' squares. Auralex makes those accoustic couplers if you wanted the insulation above to suck up more bass.... lotsa stuff to do that way.

just some inexperienced musings, though...

my ceiling is only about 7'2"... you lucky so and so!

Back