Tracking metal vocals, underwater sound

Linchpin

We're tracking metal vocals using an sm58 through a dmp-3 pre (we also use a sp b1). The problem is our lead vocalists tracks keep coming out sounding slighly, well... under water. We were originally tracking in the closet and while bringing him out of it helped, it didn't solve the problem. He is using headphones and holding the mic himself if that means anything. Does anyone have any ideas about what might be happening here?

Thanks,
Linch

Dont-bring-your-singer-out-of-the-closet!
Look-what-it-did-for-Judus-Priest!!

(Sorry.-couldn't-resist.)

MAYBE-if-you-give-alittle-more-info-someone-can-help-out..

What-are-you-tracking-to?

Is-this-a-recent-"condition",-I-mean-are-you-guys-used-to-hearing-him-tracked-with-a-58?

Can-you-explain-the-"Underwater-sound"-a-bit-more?

Is-the-mic-pre-a-recent-addition-to-the-step-up?

It-sucks-that-it's-with-both-mics!
(Personally,-I've-found-that-when-I-switched-mic-pres-I-didn't-care-for-my-58-anymore..It-seemed-to-have-a-"Nasal"-sound-
that-was-no-longer-flatterig-to-my-voice-and-the-mic-technique-I-had-become-comfortable-with-just-went-right-out-the-window!
It-was-as-frustrating-as-this-damn-keyboard!)

Hopefully-you'll-get-this-sorted-out.
:)

What's up guys/gals?
Is the "underwater" sound kind of a gentle "swoosh...swoosh..." kind of sound?
If so, since the way you descibed the 'phones/ mic technique, I'll bet it's phasing between his actual vocal (what you want in the mic), and some headphone bleed getting in the mic also (what you don't want). Are these really good, "pro quality", sealed (all the way around the ear) headphones? Even if they are some bleed can still get in there.
Is his cue mix really loud? A simple test would be to lower the volume of the cue mix (what he's hearing in his cans) drastically (to where there would be no possibility of it getting into his mic)...Or better yet, eliminate his headphones entirely (just for testing purposes, of course...), and have him sing into the mic while recording, and see if this problem (called phasing, or out of phase, etc...) goes away. If it does that's your problem. You'll have to convince him/her to have a much lower headphone level...which is not always easy ;)...The best way, IMO, to do this, is to give him only the backing instruments of his choice in the 'phones, and to monitor himself w/o the vocals in the phones (i.e. just by listening to himself in the room itself). If he has a low enough headphone level, he should be able to hear himself in the room...
That's my bet anyway, vocal phasing between the headphone bleed, and his actual voice, both getting into the mic.
If this doesn't work, disregard everything I just said...;)

Back