Tracking in cubase (operation manual)

davecg321

I've recently purchased cubase artist 8.5. I've been slowly working my way through the manual and have stumbled along some guidelines for tracking. The manual says to set input levels as close to - 0db without clipping. This is in strark contrast to many of the articles I've see on the Web stating that it's more ideal to set levels at -10 to -12. Steinberg clearly have some knowhow and authority on the matter but I can't see this as being good advice against everything else I've read. Although I do see some sense in getting a stronger/louder signal to begin with, rather than raising mic/room noise later on.

Any thoughts??

Dave

Where in the manual did you see this? I am curious.

This would be true for preamp levels, but not the signal within Cubase. But they are two different scales. 0dB is approximately -18dBFS.

"Play back the audio and check the level meter of the input channel. The signal should be reasonably loud without exceeding 0db that is the clipping indicator for that channel should not light up."

Mix Console-Input Levels

On the getting Cubase getting started videos on youtube the instructor says aim to get our recording levels between -3 and -6

Found it. Yeah, that does not sound right at all. They are talking about the input channels but I am now wondering if those are a different scale or if they just fuck'd up writing the manual...

-6 is ok for peaks and transients. The average level of -18 is the target. Keep in mind it is that range that 24-bit/32-bit float gives us. I have recorded live drums almost to the 0 dBFS point with no issues. Sounds better though when recorded way below that. Can always raise the gain.

Now, the preamp is where you would typically push to the top end of it's gain before clipping. Well, that depends on the preamp...

I just posted on Steinberg forum. That should be corrected. Can't believe it hasn't been caught. Or my whole world just got turned upside down... lol!

But you may be the only one who actually read the F'n manual....:)

yeah i agree it did seem a bit weird. let me know if you get a reply and post your findings here. cheers dude

There is so much confusion and tripe talked about on this subject. The advice Steinberg give is about input gain, and all they are saying is don't over cook it - because that red light coming on means you went too far. Personally, I really do not like the advice to work much lower for a number of reasons, because it's easy to accidentally record too low, meaning you have to reduce your available dynamic range when you discover there's not enough in the mix. In most cases, you can do this quite transparently, but sometimes (and my bass is a good example) the low recording level brings up with it some of the low level noises between the noise floor and the moderate or quiet playing level.

So I still do what I always did - I play and play as loud as I'm likely to, making sure that is not too much, then I back the knob off a bit giving me some headroom at the top. I have no real interest in how much it is, as long as it sufficient.

Setting -10 to -15 gives you more spare, just in case. If you are likely to go over the peak you have determined best for your session, then having this extra is good. Other people (and I'm one) often end up with this amount of headroom, but I usually notice it afterwards.

Steinberg say don't go over, because if you do it sounds horrible. That's 100% accurate. Headroom is advisable, but not having XdB means very little.

Why is this a big deal? I have no idea?

yeah i agree it did seem a bit weird. let me know if you get a reply and post your findings here. cheers dude

Have had replies, but don't think the respondents are understanding the question yet...

Are you not registered at Steinberg? The forum there is quite informative for us Cubase doods. Don't expect tech support there though.

Cheers back at ya man!

There is so much confusion and tripe talked about on this subject. The advice Steinberg give is about input gain, and all they are saying is don't over cook it - because that red light coming on means you went too far. Personally, I really do not like the advice to work much lower for a number of reasons, because it's easy to accidentally record too low, meaning you have to reduce your available dynamic range when you discover there's not enough in the mix. In most cases, you can do this quite transparently, but sometimes (and my bass is a good example) the low recording level brings up with it some of the low level noises between the noise floor and the moderate or quiet playing level.

So I still do what I always did - I play and play as loud as I'm likely to, making sure that is not too much, then I back the knob off a bit giving me some headroom at the top. I have no real interest in how much it is, as long as it sufficient.

Setting -10 to -15 gives you more spare, just in case. If you are likely to go over the peak you have determined best for your session, then having this extra is good. Other people (and I'm one) often end up with this amount of headroom, but I usually notice it afterwards.

Steinberg say don't go over, because if you do it sounds horrible. That's 100% accurate. Headroom is advisable, but not having XdB means very little.

Why is this a big deal? I have no idea?

I posted similar thoughts on the Steinberg forum.

I agree that I push levels where they need to be. The problem is that the manual states '0dB'. That is wrong. They should state '0dBFS'.

That is what raised the question.

I posted similar thoughts on the Steinberg forum.

I agree that I push levels where they need to be. The problem is that the manual states '0dB'. That is wrong. They should state '0dBFS'.

That is what raised the question.

so where about on the dbfs scale should i be tracking at? close to -3dbfs or -10dbfs?

cheers

Back