Tracking Help???

ShaneSelby

How do I bring my vocal and acoustic guitar tracks to life? I don’t feel my tracks have that "punch" to them. They don’t stand out or have any life of their own if you know what I mean. I think a compressor is my answer but wanted a few other opinions.

Here is my set up:
I use my Alesis Studio 32 board => Delta 1010 => Nuendo.
I use a Rode NTK for vocals.
I use the NTK and DI for acoustic.
I have a Joe Meek vc6q and a 1953t.
Various other mics (sm57, mxl, ecm8000, audix)
Audiophile SP-8B

When I record I get a nice level (usually just below or at 0db) and use no equalization or compression. Everything sound real good but it is just missing something. Missing the punch, sparkle, the guts etc...

Would compression be my answer? I know the RNC is the popular choice. If so, explain to me what this will do to my tracks. Also, for those of you who use the RNC what difference have you seen since using it? I really appreciate the help.

Most of the "punch" has to come from the source (ie, the talent...) If a track is missing life (another word is dynamics), then you probably have to re-think the arrangement and the performance before thinking of fixing it in the mix......

What do you mean by 'punch' and 'sparkle'?

Punch sounds like tweaking the attack on some compression might help, but sparkle sounds like you need to open the upper end up a bit with the EQ - I had to add a load of high end to a perfectly good-sounding guitar track recently to give it more presence in the mix, and it worked - from relative obscurity to having its own spotlight, just like that. Reason I say that is because you're tracking flat and dry with good gear - your tracks are probably really good material, but to get them working in the mix, maybe you have to brighten them?

What Bruce says is true too. A lively performance supplies punch and sparkle.

What Texrk says too - let's hear a bit.

I remember Hey Hey. You've got a good sound and great playing. Lose the DI, do more acoustic micing, add bass and drums/percussion and you'll have some great stuff.

A bit of compression may give you more punch but it doesn't sound like you have any problems with dynamics. Some better pre's would probably help if you are looking for more definition and clarity.

I think you have to ask yourself if you really want more punch.

Plenty of sparkle. Remember that .mp3 @ 128 will wipe some sparkle off of anything.

This stuff is fine just where it is.

Hey Hey got my guitar out *like now*.

The punch will come from a bass track and a drum track, but I REPEAT: carefully consider whether you want that kind of noise on your mixed down track.

LOL LOL :D

Yeah, I listened to Hey Hey. You know, I had this uncomfortable feeling when I was dishing out ideas up above that you knew way more about this than me. I'm right. You do.

Punch and sparkle problems? LOL Yeah, sure. Wish I had your problems...

A lot of times a vocal can sound lifeless because it is recorded in a dead space. Try moving the mic to different parts of the room, or to a different room entirely and see if that helps.

Back