Tracking beats for songs.

Are you talking about taking a track from preproduction to production? There are many ways to do this. Here's what I normally do. You'll want to record each instrument individually so that you can dynamically process, eq and effect the instrument without affecting the whole mix. You can apply processing while tracking or while mixing down or both depending on what sound you're trying to get. Do this for each instrument track and if possible separate the drums into separate tracks (kick, snare, overheads).

Now in order to have everything line up you'll need to use MIDI to synchronize everything. You can do this with the Roland/Boss-type recording units (VS and BR-8s). I personally use Logic for this which I find a lot easier than the BR-8 I was using prior.

I can give you more specifics on this is necessary but I hope this helps as a starting point.

Stray

thats just what i was talking about. So do you just play each track in solo mode (on the MPC,trinity ect)while recording? Or use the other outputs on the machine?

If you have individual output on the MPC or Trinity this would make your life a lot easier because you can route individual sounds to these outputs. For example, kick to out 1, snare to out 2, hihat to out 3 and so on. If you have this feature make full use of it. If you don't then yes you'd have to solo each individual instrument and record.

Stray

On th MP... Fisrt you gotta save your original beat. Now you can use the pan to record at least two tracks at a time. Pan one all the way yo the left the other all the way to the right. Mute all other tracks. Arm you destination tracks to record a single track of the left signal and a singal track of the right signal. Listen carfully for crosstalk and channel bleed. You may hear a faint presence of the tracks bleeding into each other(usally never bad enough to give a shit about though).With everything sync'd up by MMC or MTC you can do this until you have al tracks down with no problemn. If you have stero tracks or are recording tracks with efx they should be recorded in stero.

When mutiltracking you want to take full advantage of your headroom to avoid additional noise. This means you would want to record each sound at the fullest volume possible. This keeps you from adding noise later if and when trying to up the volume on a sound. Each track you record will add more noise to your recording so it is always best to keep the levels as high as possible.

I hope this makes sense. I'm not reading back through it and i kinda rushed. If you got any more questions just shoot.

Back