Track width vs. Headroom (msr16)

ROBOTQUALITYREC

From all ive heard about tape machines, i assume the wider the tape and fewer the tracks
(24 track 2" or ((BETTER YET)) 16 track 2")
means more headroom. IE the amount of pure LOUD signal allowed before the signal becomes affected by the limitations of the medium.
now, i think thats great and all, if you're in it for the pure
"all analog" route and want a nice clean signal
(which i know alot of people here are so dont kill me)
but im a lame ass analog->protools guy.
so for me, i WANT the obvious "slammed level" sound for drums and such. really agressive in your face kinda stuff.
now, i THINK by my (probably wrong) theory if i went with a machine like a Tascam MSR16 (1/2" 16 track ...like you dont know) that my wants would come oh so much easier with this format (give in to saturation quite easier)

i know alot of people respect that machine. some dont. i consider it just right for what i want to do with the tape. and its also WAY cheaper for the bands paying for tape costs. (35 bucks compared to $180 for 2")
now unless someone comes and tells me otherwise im going to go right out and buy one tomorrow....i mean it.... really

ok i guess ill wait for some expert opinions.

oh ALSO,
ill admit i have NO idea how to maintain an analog deck. im sure with weeks of the manual and getting used to demagging and cleaning the heads itll come naturally eventually...but for right now if this thing breaks its WAY easier to take in for repairs than a big honkin Otari MX80 or the like.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP (opinions, insults, etc)

Depends on what you mean with headroom. If you mean the difference between where 0db is and when you start to distort (which is what usually is ment), then wider tracks do not automatically mean more headroom.

The reason for this is simply that when you calibrate your tape deck, you typically do it to get a certain low level of distortion. The distortion will from that point and onwards increase, and headroom is usually measured until you get 3% third harmonic distortion. Which level this is depends primarily on what tape you are using.

Wider tape will get you lower noise, not more headroom.

That said, a 1/2" 16 track will surely work fine for most situations.

Back