TRACK SYNC PROBLEM

Vrex

This problem has developed recently. (I am recording into a laptop using an interface box and Mixcraft software.) When I record a second track and play.them both back, it is as if they are playing back at slightly different speeds, so that they get progressively out of sync as the playback continues. (This is visible.on the waveforms too.) This is not "latency" as I understand the term, which would produce a constant delay, not one track being "stretched" relative to the other. Anyone have insight? Help!

The worst-case scenario for problems like this is clock sync issues. (i.e. you have two devices with internal clock that don't quite match up so they drift over time). It sounds like you only have one device tho, so that's a real problem. You're recording into and monitoring from the interface, right? You're not listening through the laptop's headphone port or anything?

Another possibility is that the sample rates don't match. If you accidentally recorded the first part at a different rate from the other, that can create sync issues.

The worst-case scenario for problems like this is clock sync issues. (i.e. you have two devices with internal clock that don't quite match up so they drift over time). It sounds like you only have one device tho, so that's a real problem. You're recording into and monitoring from the interface, right? You're not listening through the laptop's headphone port or anything?

Another possibility is that the sample rates don't match. If you accidentally recorded the first part at a different rate from the other, that can create sync issues.
Yes, I'm doing everything through the box. I don't know anything about sample rates and have not deliberately messed with that.

Ok. The next step would be to check the sample rates then. Are they the same in both files.

What DAW software are you using? Does it have any playback speed settings that might have gotten nudged?

Back