Track Labeling

Seanmorse79

...kind of an off-the-wall computer-mixing question.

Out of curiosity, what does everybody use as a standard, or convention for labeling their tracks? It seems like there's never enough room when you're working with an on-screen mixer, and if you've got a bunch of tracks going (with backups of originals), and doing multiple takes to comp together, it can get pretty hairy.

I try to use 3 character abbreviations for everything, but it doesn't always work out that well.

VOX
BKV (backup vocals)
KIK
SNR
OVH (overheads)
GTR (rhythm guitar)
BAS
etc...

Obviously, it gets hairy when I'm saving backup tracks or doing multiple takes, so what does everybody else do?

We don't name the tracks, it's much more exciting to bring up a fader and say, "Gee, that's cool, I wonder where it came from..."

Seriously, this is a big pain with any software I've tried. I pretty much do what you said, except with stereo tracks it's even more a PITA. (LLG for Left Lead Guitar??? phooey...) I think software should allow you to type in any length label you like, and then hovering over it would bring up the full deal, like hovering over a favorite URL in IE. I actually have one SW package that allows that, only you have to scroll from within the label box. It's called C-Console, it's a mixer interface for Yamaha DSP Factory.

Bottom line: yeah, it sucks... Steve

Back