Track analysis and tutorials

adolf500x

Track construction analysis and audio tutorials

Would like to know if there's any sites out there that take you through the process of making a track,with step by step instruction and audio examples, with full working descriptions of all processing and fx techniques used during and after the track is complete.

Last edited:
I thank u

sorry about that sonusman,my paranoia kicked in,Drugs dont u know ( i wish) I will check those links out and thanks for ur time.

computer music magazine's website offers some very good tutorials on a variety of subjects. computer music magazine

Better than that, the actual august edition of the magazine has an incredible interactive tutorial for building a track. If you could get your hands on that back-issue, it would be well worth your while. The tutorial includes midi, conversion to wav, EQ , compression, FX & mixdown of the 3 minute track. It is written for cubase, but could probably be substituted for any recording software.

Gidge said:
you guys are too hard on newbies....I once brought up the idea of one of the "pro's" here doing an article like that, putting it on a CD-rom, and selling it with the proceeds going to Homerecording.com (Dragon).....i dont see where an article like that is such a far fetched idea......

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32401&highlight=article

Your idea isn't so far fetched, only understand it is a LOT
of work to do. Some of the simpler smaller articles take me quite a bit of time to write and set up on the site and edit the grammer
and make the samples (all this wil the help of Ed and Emeric as well). So a full recording- mixing- mastering on full tracks would take me so much time that to start something like that is one hell of a project.... I'm still trying to finish a "how to place your vocals in a mix"..... just getting the samples ready took me 3 hours of work and writing the text about 3 hours and editing will take about 2 hours and setting up the samples on the site and arranging them will be another 3-4 hours at least....you get the picture.......

These articles are good for giving ideas and understanding basic concepts but to learn how to record-mix-master from them, is clearly impossible.

Suggestion.

What if you were to use ready made off the shelf sample loops to cut most of the work load and stay in the digital domain.Surely that would help toward limiting the amount of work involved in such a project.I would get down on my knees and beg for a tutorial like this,so please,please please give it more thought.

Thanks to everyone for replying by the way and shailat please get back to me on this,im desperate.

Why are you so desperate? With a little patience if you stick around you'll learn quite a bit.

Start by asking specific questions. By specific I dont mean ask how to track or mix....ask things like how to get a good sound on a specific instrument using specific gear etc......

I know that Ed has some idea that if he will impliment it, it would be great, but it's up to him.

If Gidge would get a few people together to help cover at least expenses Then Ed might be motivated to take action (or not) but understand that we also work for a living and its really not that simple to find free studio time laying around for such a huge project.

I hope little by little to add more articles to my site but a major project like that is work !
It would be really cool for a lot of you, to do a mixing or tracking clinic over the net. You would probably learn quite a lot from it.
But using samples is not the answer.

ok, since someone brought this up again ill respond...i still dont think its a far fetched idea, but I didnt mention any names, so if noone has the time or $$$ then its not a big deal....

but.....

To whom it may concern:
the ideal situation would be like this....you get a small time band thats recording some tunes and you tell them that in exchange for some free publicity (being included on a tutorial offered to a major home recording website), you get to use one of the tracks you are recording...that would take care of studio time costs because the dumb-fu$k band that fell for that is paying for it....thats half the battle.....

taking notes of mics used and positioning, effects and their settings, etc are assumingly part of the job anyway so thats not extra time.....

a copy of all the original tracks then has to be made.....

then you do the mix.....another explaination of effects used and eq settings and why.......

then a copy of the final mix......

of course anyone can put it together, burn all the .wav files and .jpeg files to a CD.....it would be nice to offer this CD for sale for a cheap price with profits used to payoff whoever takes the project on, and the excess going to Dragon for the website if that is possible.....

now, assuming that the dumbfu$k band pays the studio cost, what kinda $$$ are we looking at to pull something like this off.......

what Im thinking is something similar to these but with better audio examples, entire .wav files......
http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/files/3EFE3B007B30C0608625684B0000DCBB
http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/files/3E5B28BE56CBC2948625697A001FD594

Back