TR8s suck - can't judge bass for beans

BBad199

I've had a pair of 20/20s for a few years and decided to get a self powered monitor in the tr8s about a year or two ago again. I can't use them. Bass never sounds muddy no matter how much I add. I can't mix on these things for shit.

There are only two possible explanations for this. The room or their position.

The floor mounted sony 3ways that I use to test mixes give me a better idea of how good my mix is then these do. What gives? I can make anything sound good through my monitors that are supposed to be fine tuned. It never fails.

BBad199 said:
There are only two possible explanations for this. The room or their position.
If these are the only 2 explanations, why start your post with "TR8's suck"??? That aside, I would try adjusting their position and check your room. I have a pair of TR-8XL's, and I love 'em.

Point noted...=) I just wanted an attention grabber so people read the thread. If they sucked I probably wouldn't have bought them after owning 20/20s.

That aside...I don't know what to blame a bad mix on...the room, the listening position, the recording, or simply...me.

I can't seem to figure out why the 3ways give me a better feel for bass response on what is muddy and what isn't...the monitors are mounted on 6 inches of condensed foam about a foot away from any walls and not in a corner...It just doesn't feel accurate to me.

What is the best way to learn to listen for propper over-all equalization? I bought harbal for this purpose and it helps greatly, but I don't want to have to rely on eq curves to create a good mix. Its too slow.

You're probably sitting in a null @ the low end response of the room.Just guessing. What size is the room? Is it treated at all? If you move back alittle does the bass tone come out more?

It doesn't get muddy at all? I find that odd for Events. I have the PS8's and that is the hardest part for me to discern. Been working on the acoustics of the room, but still lack where I need it most.

So yeah its the room and the position.

Check all of your cables and make certain your monitors are not out of phase. You may even want to check the drivers themselves. Could be a factory screw up:)

i had a similar issues with my wharfedales.

then i got me an MAudio BSX subwoofer and an SPL meter from Radio Shack. I spent a few days positioning everything and checking levels and now my mixing is SO much easier. SPL meters rule.

A sub isn't a bad idea either way, but It would be preferable to at least get the room straightened out first. Adding a sub to compensate for a bad image is the same as adding EQ to the monitoring change. Yeah it may help you translate the mix better, but your still not getting the truest possible sound that you could achieve with the equipment you have.

Back