tr-505 rhythm composer

bhlewis

has anyone ever worked with the tr-505 roland rhythm composer i just got it for 50.00 dollars. what would be the best way to record with it into cakewalk?midi?audio? any other comments would also be appreciated.

Rhthm Composer/tips

bhlewis, Although many may consider the 505 to be a bit of a dinosaur(as well as the 707, which is what I have),if the 505 is similar in programming capabilities as the 707,it's a good unit for custom fitting your rhythm track.I'm going to assume the 505 has similar functions/modes and give tips accordingly.The 707's use for me usally starts off in pattern write mode,where I pick what will be the "foundation rhythm" of a song. After thats set, I begin to write a series of drum fill measures, accents,etc..After this I enter the track write mode and put all measures in the right order.One thing ;keep a 1/4" cable connected to the audio out of the rhythm composer while in the pattern writing mode (no MIDI is sent in any other mode but track play)That's in a nutshell What I like about the 707;it is a user friendly rhythm composer.My experience with MIDI w/the 707 is as follows.I've yet to use cakewalk,but constantly use my 707 to command the drum sets in my Yamaha keyboard.To do this it's "shift ,MIDI channel" both held down then "instrument guide".I only bother pointing this out because it seemed to differ from the instructions in the manual on how to send MIDI.(Drove me batty until I figured it out !)I'm assuming that the same methods will probably work with most sound modules as well. Wish I could help more w/the cakewalk,but I'm the one who needs the input on that one.In the meantme I'd welcome rhthym composing type questions. BHaines

thanks b haines yes im just going to have to learn it
do you know the best way to hook this up via midi.

Back