Townes Van Zandt - "Tower Song"

zen_arcade

Dililttante.
Not sure if this will be a final mix but I recorded this yesterday and the vocals are first take, maybe should've given it another go. Overall I'm very happy with how this turned out and it seems to be the best thing I've recorded by myself at home. Any suggestions and feedback would be appreciated. One of my favorite Townes songs; beautiful, simple, sad, like most of 'em.

"Tower Song"

First, I must state that I'm a big Townes fan...

with that being said, I think you've done the man justice!

Your vocals are wonderful, don't do them over again. I like the light touch of the synth strings. If they were any higher up in the mix it would be cheesy, but as-is they're nice. The only thing I have to nit-pick about is the level of guitar. Maybe bring it down a tad, but it's your mix and it's a good one. Great performance!

Another Townes fan! Awesome. I don't think any mere mortal can do Townes' songs justice but thank you very much for the kind words! I'm fairly happy with how the mix turned out. I added that haunting second guitar melody and updated the mp3. I think it adds to the song's feel. Vocals are definitely my weakness but I think they're improving too. Thanks for listening and commenting!

I think your vocals make the recording a good one. You've got to give yourself some credit! You got the weary, high-way traveller voice down. Nice touch with the second guitar.

I've heard a ton of bad Van Zandt covers (even some by artists that I have high respect for), but this is a really good one.

Back