Top Quality Drum/Bass Machines

johnnynoony

I've been doing research on buying a good drum/bass machines for home recording. I just bought a Yamaha AW4416 and I'm a guitar/piano player and need something so I can work on stuff at anytime of night/day. I've heard a lot of good things about the Roland DR660, dr 770, Alesis, and I was playing around with the Zoom 123 the other day and have to say that sounds fantastic for 150. But I figured you guys would be the pros on a stand out drum/bass machine. Is there a "holy grail" machine out there right now that you would say has amazing top quality sounds. I don't think this is as subjective as say "what's the best mic?" seeing that a drum machine either sounds realistic or it doesn't. I play modern rock and want great high snare sounds but also experimental ones- maybe something that would stand out from the crowd and usable bass sounds. I want to buy something good so I don't have to go out 6 months from and keep on rebuying cheapos. Thanks for any help!~

I would like to see some opinions on this as well. I have an Alesis Sr-16 and I wonder if there is something better out there??

The DR 770 gets my vote

It's pretty easy to use, not too expensive ($399.00 or thereabouts), and has some killer sounds. Plus, it's got twice the user memory of the 660.

I'm not familiar with the Alesis, so I can't really comment on it.

Bruce in Korea

You have a PC because you obvioulsy browse the threads here. So go buy a copy of Sonic Foundry ACID 3.0 and save some money. You will not be abel to keep up with the reality of the Samples available Sonic Foundry. Also, with a little practice you will be creating Drum Tracks from scratch that will often fool listeners. You can always tell a drum machine. Just my 2 cents

Fangar

dr 660

I jusrt picked this thing up a coupla days ago its great...not exactly top of the line but it beats the hell out of the computer programs ive worked with, just turn it on and press play. I am still tryna figure out how to program a damned pattern cause i didnt get a manual (second hand) but ya...I like it :D

Re: dr 660

badassmak said:
I jusrt picked this thing up a coupla days ago its great...not exactly top of the line but it beats the hell out of the computer programs ive worked with, just turn it on and press play. I am still tryna figure out how to program a damned pattern cause i didnt get a manual (second hand) but ya...I like it :D

Glad you like it, but the question was a drum machine that is high quality sounds and I believe in turn can achieve the realness he wants.

Fangar

Thanks for the replies. I've heard a lot of good things about the Boss DR770 although I heard it's not user friendly at all. A computer based program is something I'm going to look into in the future when I get a compatable computer(mine doesn't even have USB)and a decent keyboard for midi. What I want right now is something that doesn't have a huge learning curve(I have enough of that with the Yamaha)and has great sounds that I can plug directly into the Yamaha. I've also heard a lot of good things about the Zoom RT 323- or that series in general(123,234). I don't know but I'm all ears- just trying to learn as much as possible about what's available out there. I'm surprised there isn't a stand out as fast as this market is for "new and better" products- most of the things I hear about are from products that are already a couple years old(DR series, Alesis,etc.). There's got to be a hidden gem out there. I also heard the DR 770 get's REALLY Hot- is that true? Most of the complaints about that unit were related to that. Thanks again for the help.

Dude I dont know.. I have the Alesis sr-16 and am happy as a flea on a chow. I HAD the Boss DR-5 and it did way too much honestly. I love the realism to the alesis, the "mic" variations and the simplicity. I Have played around with gangs of machines and found that <gasp> there is no replacement for a real live drummer. But at least i can shut off my machine.

In my opinion, the best "drum machine" is the Akai MPC 60 (or 2000-3000). I know it's not a standard drum machine, but more of a sampler/sequencer. However, I have never found anything better in terms of realism and "feel" of the sequencer. It's the only drum machine I am aware of that doesn't sound too robotic. Before the MPC I had an Alesis Sr16 which was pretty good too, but much more limited.

Back