top notch recording engineers

badegg

I was just wondering some names of top notch recording engineers in the industry

past or present

thanks

google is your friend.

* Steve Albini
* Billy Anderson
* Jim Anderson
* Michael J. Bishop
* Bill Bottrell
* David Bottrill
* Chuck Britz
* Terry Brown
* John Burns
* Dru Castro
* Fred Catero
* Roy Cicala
* Bob Clearmountain
* Rhett Davies
* Nick Davis
* Tom Dowd
* Geoff Emerick
* Jack Endino
* Dave Fridmann
* Rudy Van Gelder
* Nigel Godrich
* Doug Grean
* James Guthrie
* Mick Guzauski
* Roy Halee
* David Hentschel
* Andrew Jackson
* Andy Johns
* Glyn Johns
* Leslie Ann Jones
* Neil Kernon
* Eddie Kramer
* Greg Ladanyi
* James Lock
* Chris Lord-Alge
* Tom Lord-Alge
* Tony Maserati
* George Massenburg
* Yuri Morozov
* Jack Mullin
* James Munro
* Evgeny Murzin
* Roger Nichols
* Gary Paczosa
* Hugh Padgham
* Robert Parker
* Alan Parsons
* Les Paul
* Lynn Peterzell
* Tony Platt
* Resul Pookutty
* Bill Porter
* Bill Putnam
* Phil Ramone
* Emitt Rhodes
* Paul Richards
* Bruce Robb (producer)
* Susan Rogers
* Scott Salem
* Elliot Scheiner
* Al Schmitt
* Ken Scott
* Eberhard Sengpiel
* Norman Smith
* Andy Sneap
* H. Sridhar
* Neil Strauch
* Stephen Street
* Bruce Swedien
* Bill Szymczyk
* Mike Terry
* Devin Townsend
* Ken Townshend
* Phil Thornalley
* John Travis
* Robert Venable
* Paul PDub Walton
* Andy Wallace
* Kenneth Wilkinson

Andrew Jackson was the 7th president and a great engineer?? What a talented guy. That must have been difficult since he died in 1845 and the microphone wasn't invented until 1876. :D:eek::D

* Rudy Van Gelder

Wasn't he in an episode of "Star trek" ? The one about the corrupt penal colony ? :D
Ba ze way Monsiuer Weeeleeese, za's one top notch compreee - 'ensive leeeest you've pooot in zeeerrre. Tres impresseeeeve. Bon mot et bon anniversaire. :cool: :drunk: ;)

You don't consider him a "top notch recording engineer" then? :confused:

No no, it's not that at all. Ez's list is pretty thorough but it's not exhaustive and it is, I presume, springing from his opinion so there are bound to be top notch engineers missing from the list. So I can believe Martin Hannett isn't on it. I can believe Jimmy Douglass, Nathanial Kunkel, Joe Chiccarelli, Don Smith, Dave Hassinger, Keith Harwood and Ron Malo aren't on it. Besides, wasn't Hannett strictly a producer as opposed to an engineer ?

No no, it's not that at all. Ez's list is pretty thorough but it's not exhaustive and it is, I presume, springing from his opinion so there are bound to be top notch engineers missing from the list. So I can believe Martin Hannett isn't on it. I can believe Jimmy Douglass, Nathanial Kunkel, Joe Chiccarelli and Don Smith, Dave Hassinger, Keith Harwood and Ron Malo aren't on it. Besides, wasn't Hannett strictly a procucer as opposed to an engineer ?

Ahhh, I see what you meant now.

I suppose he was strictly a producer but from what I have read, a pretty hands on one and someone who I would consider a bit of both really.

I've always found the Producer/Engineer differenciation a bit blurry really

I suppose he was strictly a producer but from what I have read, a pretty hands on one and someone who I would consider a bit of both really.

I've always found the Producer/Engineer differenciation a bit blurry really

To be honest, so have I. Up until very recently, it seemed like the 'producer' got all the credit. But for decades, I'd notice the artists would talk about 'a really good engineer' but rarely name them. It seems like they did the lions share of the actual work. Many producers could get away with not even being at sessions. No such luxury was granted to the engineer. It's the other way around here on HR though. Very rarely does one see the word 'producer'. It's kind of redressed the balance.

Andrew Jackson was the 7th president and a great engineer?? What a talented guy. That must have been difficult since he died in 1845 and the microphone wasn't invented until 1876. :D:eek::D

Now wait a minute.... King Tut had a great home pyramid studio that was the envy of all the ancient world!
I have no doubt that Tuts studio put out quality recordings which would put him on the top notch engineer list.

:cool:

I was just wondering some names of top notch recording engineers in the industry

past or present

thanks
What you might want to do is find your favorite CD's and look in the liner notes to see who engineered them.

To be honest, so have I. Up until very recently, it seemed like the 'producer' got all the credit. But for decades, I'd notice the artists would talk about 'a really good engineer' but rarely name them. It seems like they did the lions share of the actual work. Many producers could get away with not even being at sessions. No such luxury was granted to the engineer. It's the other way around here on HR though. Very rarely does one see the word 'producer'. It's kind of redressed the balance.

Just found this....

From Yahoo Answers

Now wait a minute.... King Tut had a great home pyramid studio that was the envy of all the ancient world!
I have no doubt that Tuts studio put out quality recordings which would put him on the top notch engineer list.

The Flems were the epitome of Arabic rock and roll. They had the sound and the attitude and were just weird enough to be awesome. The Sphinx were a sloppy bluesrock band, and the Mummies wrote girl music. They both pale in comparison to the awesomeness of The Flems. Anyone who disagrees is wrong and/or dumb.

Ask Rami if the Flems, the Mummies and the Sphinx recorded there at Pyramid studios ! I'm sure I read somewhere that they pioneered camel track recording and that it got too cold to record there in down time. Wasn't Tut known as "King of all top notch engineers" ? :D ;)

I don't know, music director sounds to much like the music teachers title in the program hand out at a middle/grade school concert.

Back