Top 5 CDs of 2002?

musikman316

I figure that we're close enough to 03' that we can start listing...

I'll start it off...

Top 5 (no order)
1. Ryan Adams - Demolition
2. Bill Frissell - The Willies
3. Coltrane - A Love Supreme (remaster)
4. Tori Amos - Scarletts Walk
5. Blind Boys of Alabama - Higher Ground

And remember, this is all an opinion, many of us listen to different music.

Later,
Musik

I really like the Ryan Adams one also.

Counting Crows Hard Candy was awesome
Can't think of anything else I bought this year...
Foo Fighter's latest album I think was pretty ok...

Yeah, I don't always keep up with this stuff.

mIKE

Jerusalem - Steve Earle
Universal Truths & Cycles - Guided By Voices

I didn't buy much at all, though.

New Foo Figters Album = Good | Production on it = Not So Good

I really didn't like the mixing/production on the Foo Fighters newest album. I mean it sounds OK but I really think the drums are too up front in the mix. And for Christ sake I am a drummer!! I also thought the bass drum sound was crappy. Too rounded without much attack/click. The there is the guitar sound. While it does sound good I think the guitar was mixed too low and sounds over compressed to me. But the vocals on this album are great. But Mr. Grohl if you read this, I still think your band is revolutionary and you are da bomb ass drummer, singer, and guitar player! I mean who else could play on 3 succesfull albums in one year?(Foo Fighters, Queens Of The StoneAge, Nirvana Hits Album)

Weezer - Maladroit
Man listen to the guitar sounds on this album. They are powerful and raw and in your face. What a great sounding album.

I can't think of any others right now. Maybe Coldplay?

Beezoboy

Re: top albums of 2002

Prizmaxic said:
my favorites -

Audioslave - Audioslave

That is a great sounding production!!! Good music too. Didn't Bob Rock produce them? If so, that would explain why it is so great! :) He normally doesn't put out shit.

Ed

Audioslave wrote and tracked the record in 21 days and it sounds like it. Id take anything soundgarden did (or chris cornell's solo record) over the new stuff which sounds like they didnt spend enough time developing the songs. That said though, it still kills most of the shite now on rock radio....like foo fighters for instance.

Silverchair - Diorama
Foo Fighters - One By One
Weezer - Maladroit
Grinspoon - New Detention

hmmmm.... not too many good releases this year...

Let's see, these aren't GREAT albums, but to me, these are probably the best albums released in 2002:

Santana - Shaman
Audioslave - Audioslave
Red Hot Chili Peppers - By the Way (..well, maybe not a great CD but way better than all the Avril Lavignes, Cristina Aguileras, Eminems or Justin Timberlakes...)
System of a Down

Not too much to listen to on the radio this year... except for the Classic Rock stations... or the Classic Stations

Carlos

Christiaan...

I think we had a great year for music compared to what had been released since about 1998 (I know there has been good albums, but there was a lot of good stuff this year)...

But maybe we just listen to different styles of music...

What style/s do you listen to?

Later,
Musik

In no particular order.

Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Silverchair - Diorama
Foo Fighters - One By One
Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots
Beck - Sea Change

5 of my favorite albums from this year in no particular order:

John Vanderslice - Life and Death of an American Fourtracker
Frank Black & the Catholics - Black Letter Days
Frank Black & the Catholics - Devil's Workshop
Bright Eyes - Lifted
Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots (good, but not nearly as good as Soft Bulletin)

*coming out of lurker mode*
Doves - The Last Broadcast
Wilco - YHF
Sigur Ros - Whatever they hell they're calling the album
Elvis Costello - Cruel Smile (yaaaaaay remixes!!)
*back into lurker mode*

In no particular order:

Burnt by the Sun - Soundtrack to the Personal Revolution
Norma Jean - Bless the Martyr and Kiss the Child
The Dillenger Escape Plan - Irony is a Dead Scene
The Cancer Conspiracy - The Audio Medium
Dredg - El Cielo

I think the last two albums will appeal more to most people than the first three, but they are all great albums

From a primarily recording/mixing/mastering persepective, I'd throw my vote to the aging kings of art-rock--Yes--and their new Magnification CD. These British symphonic rockers recorded this complex work at sleepy Santa Barbara's premier studio, using a full symphony comprised of LA and SB professionals. Word on the street among musicians here was that the sessions were incredible... loads of artisitc talent, painstaking studio methods, and months of exhausting effort by all involved--and all for a CD that had no hopes for commercial success, with most pieces in the
5-10-minute range. As a semi-pro musician and studio cat often nearly vomiting in a muzak-corporate world, I just gotta admire that kind of talent and motivation and desire.

A nod to Santana, too, for bridging the commerical-personal-spiritual gap so creatively.

Just my two cents,

J.

Geez, how could I forget to add the Pat Metheney Group's latest CD, the musician-studio wizardry that inspires and guides so many of my own humble recording efforts? When I need to remind myself how much I have to learn, I pop this recording on and sit back, smile, and then cry.

J.

Back