top 3 HomeRecording 16 Ch Mixer

thomas_cansing

top 3 HomeRecording 16 Ch Mixer

hi i'm looking foward to adquier a 16 channel mixer ( at least 8 tracks at a time recording) so i can began my homerecording tracks... i was looking to the yamaha mg16 6 Efx( is there a yahama mg16 without onboard effects?) and the alesis multimix 16( how bout the multimix firewire...) they both seem good for 8 instruments at a time recording. but i dont have muchu experience on this so i need a little help from you people. are there on your top 3 multi mixers? if not bring down your own top3.. everybody please.! thanx

I have an older Studiomaster P7. I love it because I use digital tape and this board has in line monitoring Nice 4 band sweepable EQ, decent pres.You can find them at a good price usually on ebay. Depending on what you want to spend if you have a big budget look at the Allen and Heath or a Soundcraft Ghost.
Good luck

I use an Alesis 32 in my home studio and have always liked its performance. No onboard effects and I like that. 16 inputs, 4-buss. Maybe kind of a poor man's Mackie. I don't think it will make anyone's top 3 list here, but it's been pretty solid and easy to use. There's one on eBay now at $325: http://cgi.ebay.com/Alesis-Studio-3...ryZ23785QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm sure other people will mention Mackie and maybe Soundcraft as some to check out too. There's a Soundcraft FX16 for $800 on eBay, about twice what you'll pay for the Alesis I'd guess. Good luck.

what are the advantages that i have by getting a analog/digital USb rack instead of a just analog.. i got several equipments now and i wanto t start my own home recording tracks, i've in mind the alesis multimix 16 and the yamaha mg16 6efx onboard? thanx for helping...

Hey Sevenone,
What was it about the Mackie that is so much better? I've thought of making a move to Mackie. Is it the pres, lower noise, better eq? What are the big differences?

Thanks

noisedude said:
Soundcraft M12. The new Toft mixer when that comes out.
What do you know about this mixer? Didn't see anything on the PMI site. I have the ATC-2 pre which is really nice. Be great to get a board designed by Toft (If I can afford it)

seveone said:
had an Alesis 32, loved it, got flaky, bought a Mackie Onyx..100% better.

The Alesis had sort of brittle sounding preamps.

I love the Onyx and use it for all my drum recordings.

War

zbert said:
What do you know about this mixer? Didn't see anything on the PMI site. I have the ATC-2 pre which is really nice. Be great to get a board designed by Toft (If I can afford it)
16channel mixer with meterbridge and sidecar available seperately hopefully. Sixteen Toft preamps and inline monitoring. Trident 80B EQ. Loads of additional inputs and returns. I looked at the full-scale plans with Malcolm at an exhibition in London in April and was very impressed. They're looking at a street price of around $4k I think. The channels are in groups of four, which is a kinda halfway house on servicability (if a channel goes on my M12, the entire mixer circuit board would have to be swapped out). Have a search on Gearslutz.com and seee what you can find there - unfortunately PMI's forum is offline for a while so all the real info has gone. :)

vwcsonic said:
Hey Sevenone,
What was it about the Mackie that is so much better? I've thought of making a move to Mackie. Is it the pres, lower noise, better eq? What are the big differences?

Thanks

WHat Warhead said. The Alesis was good, but a little noisy, brittle. Mine started to get crackly. The Onyx is warmer, less noisy. I like the EQ in the alesis, the eq in the Onyx smokes, but you can't put it easily into the signal path. The Direct outs are all pre fader, pre eq, pre insert - just through the preamp. I don't use the firewire, mine is all d-sub. I got the Onyx 1620 at Guitar Center for $525 and $75 ea for the d-subs. And used my Alesis32 as a trade, they gave me $325 for it as is. I paid $300 for it 8 months earlier from the same GC.

the yamaha mg166/6efx or the alesisi multimix usb 16?? which one should i buy... i mentioned these two because they are at my bubget and they both have usb and effects on board...who are the preamps and of these machine. thanx anyone

Back