Took your advice - 2nd Attempt Drum Cover - Limelight

Johnka

Hi All,

After receiving a lot of good feedback from you guys, I recorded another song yesterday. I have to say, I think the drums sound a LOT better.

Here's the link to the new recording:

YouTube - Rush "Limelight" Drum Cover

and here's the previous recording for comparison:

YouTube - Rush YYZ Drum Cover

The main difference is that I added a mic to my kick, so I have a cheap DR sitting close to the batter head, and the D112 at the back of the drum. That really made a difference for the kick. I also brought down the overheads so the cymbals aren't so in your face, and added some compression and reverb to the snare and floor toms. I also switched out the Catalina snare for my old trusty Pearl maple snare, and it sounds 100% better.

I still think there's plenty of room for improvement though, so I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance,

John

Gear:
Gretsch Catalina and Renown maple
Pearl free floating maple snare
Remo Ambassador snare head
Evans EMAD bass drum head
Evans EC2 batter heads
Evans G2 resonant heads
Sabian Paragon 16, 18, 20 crash, 22 ride, 19 China
Misc Zildjian, Meinl, Paiste cymbals
DW 5000 double pedal
Mics: AKG D112 bass, Shure SM57 snare, DRM7 toms and overheads
M-Audio Profire 2626 interface
Logic Express 9

I like it. A lot. I'm still weird about snare sounds, and this still isn't 'my' snare sound. But who am I? I still say it a real good sound, with all the drums balanced nicely.

I like it. A lot. I'm still weird about snare sounds, and this still isn't 'my' snare sound. But who am I? I still say it a real good sound, with all the drums balanced nicely.

Thanks Ranjam. Your feedback on my previous post helped a lot.

I'm a fan of the punchier snare sound, more like Tool than Rush, so that's probably wgat you're hearing.

Cheers!

Wow they sound great!!! and I love this song.
I was watching "I Love You Man" the other day and Rush play it live in the movie. I have been trying to figure out the song ever since haha

Mp3

@Greg, I didn't realize I could upload directly to the thread. Here's the MP3.

Attachments

• Rush Limelight Cover 4-17-c.mp3
    5.6 MB · Views: 7
Wow they sound great!!! and I love this song.
I was watching "I Love You Man" the other day and Rush play it live in the movie. I have been trying to figure out the song ever since haha

Ha, I was so stoked when I saw that part in I Love You Man. :)

Back