Took in a stray...

miroslav

Cosmic Cowboy
So I looked out my door and saw this stray sitting out there looking cold, hungry and lonely.
Already had a full stable...but seeing how it was the holidays, I just couldn't say no.

It's a Hagstrom Swede (of course) Custom with P90s and it's an antique ivory color, though depending on the light, it can also look like a custard color.
They are stock Hagstrom P90s...and they sound quite good. I added the black walnut P90 coverts and the chrome rings from Hagstrom, which they put on their Vikings with P90s, but I asked them for a pair and they sent them from Sweden (took a few emails, but I got them).

It was an impulse buy (like so many others)... :D ...but I figured it was my Xmas present to myself.

SwedeCustomP90_01.jpg

SwedeCustomP90_02.jpg

Since I already had a Swede with P90s...one which I never liked how they fit in the P90s...felt they made the cut just a tad too big (looked good, but it was a small thing that bugged me)...
...I decided to switch it to Mini Humbuckers...and I think it came out great, and looks great.
They are a pair of Mini HBs that came from an Epihone, a Sheraton I believe (that's what the seller told me).
I think they sound really sweet, they are very vintage flavored tone, low output (both around 6.5k ohms)...so I can crank the amps up more without getting any nasty hash.

SwedeCustomMiniHB_01.jpg

SwedeCustomMiniHB_02.jpg

And before anyone asks me for some tone clips...I just got them set up, so I've not really had a chnace to put them through their paces...though they sound great from what I've heard so far...so at some point I'll record some tones and post them.

While I'm at it...I also picked up a set of Suhr Raw Nickel Thornbuckers that I put into my Hagstrom Deuce-F as I felt the stock pups were kinda dull sounding, which was odd, since my other, solid body Deuce, has stock pups and it sounds brighter with more bite. I'm assuming it's the F-hole that warms up things a bit more, but the pups that came out were definitely a bit lower output than the other stock pups.
Anyway...the Thornbuckers were not cheap, though I got a good deal on them ($216 for the pair instead of $250)...but they sound really great. The neck pup is very balanced, not bassy sounding, and the bridge is more meaty than most bridge PAF style pups. Both are very articulate, yet warm sounding.
I'll include them when I do the sound clips.

Thornbucker_01.jpg

Thornbucker_02.jpg

So I've been busy the last few days getting all these guitars finished, plus I also installed some raw nickle covers on a couple of uncovered pickups I had, and then wax potted them...so I'm now finally done, but it all came out good, just right for XMas. :)

Last edited:
Ya just get her home and already you're putting new lipstick and walnut covers on her. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

They look great. You've got a collection woven from dreams of all us wannabe's. :)

I am certainly biased...:)...been playing Hags since 1975 when I got my very first one (it was my first solid body electric guitar)...
...and I never looked back.

They play pretty comfortably for most folks. I mean, if you like LPs and similar, you'll like the Hags.
The key difference is the neck. It's wider, with a wider fretboard radius, but it's slim in back...so for most people, it plays fast.
Now, if you really prefer a huge round back on the neck, and you like a narrower, rounder radius, you may not find the Hags comfortable...but honestly, most folks that try them, like how they play.

Back