too much low end through my mids?

supafly

I have a Polk DSW10 and a set of M-Audio DX4's - my line out of my mixer feeds into the speaker in on the sub and then out from the speaker out of the sub to the DX4's.

This is a fairly new setup, so I'm not sure what it can or can't do, but basically I have made a song that is very bass heavy, i.e. the bass line is a continuos sine wave in a VST called Sytrus and together with my bass drum I am maxing out my DX4's and getting some nasty crunching sounds coming out - the sub handles the notes just fine.

The question is, should I just lay back off the sine wave bass, maybe EQ it in FL Studio, or should I invest in a crossover to send purely mid/high to the DX4's?

Searching, I find a Polk PSW-10, not a DSW-10.

Amazon.com: Polk Audio PSW10 10-Inch Monitor Series Powered Subwoofer (Single, Black): Electronics

On the above page, I find two items of note.

One, the crossover frequency is variable, from 80 to 160. You can try dialing that up to see if you can filte3r out the bass signals that are overdriving your mains.

Two, it says the unit has speaker and line level ins, but only speaker level outs. Your DX4's are powered speakers, but the Polk is giving them amplified signal. That will cause the problems you describe. Short of a power soak, I don't see an easy fix using this equipment, unless...

If you have multiple outs on your interface/soundcard, you can try running the Polk off one, and the DX4s off a different one, then setting levels for...pleasing balance, but...

Getting a flat response, critical for mixing so that your EQ plays well on awide variety of systems is going to be iffy and probably unlikely.

Back