Too much cab?

cellardweller

I'm thinking about getting an Avatar 4x12 that has four Vintage 30s at 240 watts.

Primarily I would be using my Mesa single rectumfrier (50 watts) through it, but I'd also occasionally plug in my Crate 120 watt amp as well...

It's not too much cab for a 50 watt tube amp, is it? :confused:

10-4 on the impedance.

So does it necessarily stand to reason that because a 100 watt head (tube) can power two 4x12 cab's that a 50 watt head can power one 4x12?

Additionally, could a 50 watt head (tubes) power two 4x12's as well???

So does it necessarily stand to reason that because a 100 watt head (tube) can power two 4x12 cab's that a 50 watt head can power one 4x12?

Not really. As long as your impedance is good, and the output of the head doesn't exceed the maximum rated wattage of the cab, you're golden.

Look at it this way - most 4x12's are rated anywhere in the 300-400 watt range, just to play it safe. You don't have any trouble running a 100 watt head into them. Running a 50 watt is just as safe - it's only the other side, running a head that puts out as much if not more wattage than the cab, where you run into trouble and have to worry about blowing out speakers.

Look at it this way - most 4x12's are rated anywhere in the 300-400 watt range, just to play it safe.
Out of curiosity, what kind of speakers are used in 4x12's rated 300-400 watts? Is this peak as opposed to continuous wattage?

The reason I ask is because Avatar rates a 4x12 loaded with Celestion V30's at 240 watts....

Out of curiosity, what kind of speakers are used in 4x12's rated 300-400 watts? Is this peak as opposed to continuous wattage?

The reason I ask is because Avatar rates a 4x12 loaded with Celestion V30's at 240 watts....

Depends on the speakers. A Rectifier cab with V30's is rated at 240 watts, for example - four 60-watt speakers. Swap those for Mesa's excellent C90 Black Shadow, however, which is rated at either 80 or 90 watts (I forget), and that jumps to either 320 or 360 watts.

Back