Too dead

pinhedgtr

Processing
So I put a pillow in the kick drum cause I was getting too much resonance in the recordings, but I think the pillow made it sound too dead. The pillow was longer than the bass drum itself so I have like 1/4 of the pillow folded and resting against the beater head and just touching the resonant head. What do you all use to deaden the kickdrum?

Using an Audix D6 and recording metal.

Thanks,
B

pinhedgtr said:
So I put a pillow in the kick drum cause I was getting too much resonance in the recordings, but I think the pillow made it sound too dead. The pillow was longer than the bass drum itself so I have like 1/4 of the pillow folded and resting against the beater head and just touching the resonant head. What do you all use to deaden the kickdrum?

Thanks,
B
I dont use anything in my kick drum. Get you some Aquarian Super-Kick heads and use the pillow to sleep on.

Man I'm a starving artist here, trying to come up with some alternatives. But now you got me thinking maybe I can cut the pillow to size and the sew it back up...but really just trying to find what others have done to deaden the kick drum a little.

pinhedgtr said:
Man I'm a starving artist here, trying to come up with some alternatives. But now you got me thinking maybe I can cut the pillow to size and the sew it back up...but really just trying to find what others have done to deaden the kick drum a little.
A small but heavy (non-shedding wool blend, for example) blanket folded up so you're not resting on the heads is a good substitute. No stitching skills required.

G.

just as long as it doesn't touch the heads it'll be fine...also, I don't know how you tune your drums, but one of the best metal drummers in american metal these days taught me his secret for an awesome metal kick...tune the lugs down evenly and slowly, until the point where there is no pitch to the drum (basically, until it's almost completely loose) then tune it back up slightly until an audible pitch appears...

blueroommusic said:
I don't know how you tune your drums, but one of the best metal drummers in american metal these days taught me his secret for an awesome metal kick...tune the lugs down evenly and slowly, until the point where there is no pitch to the drum (basically, until it's almost completely loose) then tune it back up slightly until an audible pitch appears...
Who might this be? Great idea, I will try this as well. Thank you!

B

pinhedgtr said:

Thanks,
B

I cut out rings of lightweight fabric, with the outer dimension a couple of inches bigger than the rim all the way around and the inner dimension about four inches less than the rim all the way around. I lay them flat over the heads, but under the rims and then install the rims to hold the fabric in place over the the outer edge of each head. That controls the ring without taking the punch out of the sound. Then I use an R-19 batt inside the drum, paper side touching the shell, most of the way around the circumference except at the top to knock down the internal reflections.

Cheers,

Otto

SouthSIDE Glen said:
A small but heavy (non-shedding wool blend, for example) blanket folded up so you're not resting on the heads is a good substitute. No stitching skills required.

G.
good advice.

ofajen said:
I cut out rings of lightweight fabric, with the outer dimension a couple of inches bigger than the rim all the way around and the inner dimension about four inches less than the rim all the way around. I lay them flat over the heads, but under the rims and then install the rims to hold the fabric in place over the the outer edge of each head. That controls the ring without taking the punch out of the sound. Then I use an R-19 batt inside the drum, paper side touching the shell, most of the way around the circumference except at the top to knock down the internal reflections.

Cheers,

Otto

Interesting techniques, gotta try the cloth ring thing. But, expect some rattle from the paper. They also make insulation without paper backing and would try that.

Gamelan said:
Interesting techniques, gotta try the cloth ring thing. But, expect some rattle from the paper. They also make insulation without paper backing and would try that.

I hear no rattle from the paper, but there's no reason not to use the kind without paper. I just happened to have some of this kind around.

Cheers,

Otto

Most of your resonance comes from the non-beater head. You can use a thin strip of fabric over the head to deaden it a little or a lot. If you want to deaden more, move the strip over the middle of the head. The more you move it to the side, the less deadening it will do.

Good luck.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I put the fabric on the resonant head and a blanket inside and I think it will do the trick. Sounds much better already. I'll find out later this week how it sounds for recording. Thanks again!

B

Back