tommorow!

cemyender

ok, so tommorow im going out buying

a sm57
1 behringer xeynx2442fx mixer
1mic stand plus leads

Ive got a computer and some headphones, i plan to buy more mics so i can record my drums, and hopefully record a live jam at some point (drums,2guitars,bass,vocal). Also will be getting a firewire input interface thingy aswell.

Should do me ok for now wont it?

Do you really need 24 crappy channels to record with one sm57 that bad?

I would suggest that you sit down and really determine your maximin number of inputs needed, and then buy the best mixer possible for that number of channels.

Yamaha makes some decent mixers for a tight budget, Soundcraft is a good option for something a bit more pricey, but the quality and options are much better. Look used for a good deal.

SM57 is a great all around mic, works aceptably for vocals, good on electric guitar cabs, good for many drum applications. You probably could use a LDC for vocals eventually, and then more mics for drums. If you are recording a live jam situation, you will have a lot to handle to control bleed and coordinate probabaly 4 mics on drums, one each for guitars, and then vox. Bass can usaully go direct.

Good luck,
Daav

ive got ideas to record with several mics so i need a bigger mixer, i only plan to buy once. i dont have that much $$$ by the way!

i disagree with daav, i prefer to get a few extra channals becouse you never know, you upgrade to more drum pieces, maby youll record your friends sca band or something. behringer seem's to have a bad rep. around here, but personally i think it's your best band for your buck, just make shure you get it new, and with as long as a warrentee as you can get.

edit: what are you gonna use for software?

Jsut to clarify, i never suggested less channels than you need, just shooting for as many channels as you might need to keep the quality and $$ to channel ratio as beneficial as possible.

I had the berry UB802 mixer and replaced it with a soundcraft M4, that is the experience i am speaking from. i tried to use the Berry for submixes for monitoring the other day and just flat gave up on it. The thing is a white noise machine.

My personal strategy is to get experience with cheap gear then try to replace with good stuff, once. YMMV.

Daav

yeh i agree, i wanna get my hands dirty recording stuff, on my own and in my band. Once ive got a bit more experience (and cash!), i'l look to buy better gear, but im hoping stuff like my sm57's will last me.

cemyender said:
yeh i agree, i wanna get my hands dirty recording stuff, on my own and in my band. Once ive got a bit more experience (and cash!), i'l look to buy better gear, but im hoping stuff like my sm57's will last me.

SM57's...these will always be the least of any problem.

I'd recommend a Mackie 1202 or something that size, it gives you 4 simultanious channels, enough for drums (2 overheads, kick, snare), and then just layer tracks after on Cubase. Mackie is great quality, and those boards only run around $175 used if you're willing to shop around..

ok, so for those who havent read my "today" post i bought a yamaha mw12 instead of the behinger.

got cubase le with it aswell.

sadly, ive not been able to play back what ive recorded because it wont do for some reason :( maybe i have to get the manual out like a loser!

Back