Tom Mics...

I bought a gator case full if mics for $125...it had 28 mics in it...most of them SM58s which I sold for $60 each on craigslist so I made back arround $1300.

NICE!

In that case, I'll just cover shipping. You already made your money back. lol :D:cool:

My usual drum set up is:

Overheads Sennheiser ME40 x 2 (sometimes Rode NT1 x 2)

Snare SM57 (transformer removed)

Snare bottom toshiba condenser model unknown (I have 3 off these, they are not cheap mics and are were made in the early 80's, sound great, wish I knew the model and some information)

Hats Toshiba condenser

Toms Sennheiser 421

Floor Tom 421, SM57 or Bayer M200 (I know nothing about this model, but sounds great on floor toms)

Kick D112

I have heard good reports about sennheiser 609's and I recently recorded a live gig (24 channel split) where these where on the house PA and they come up good back in the studio.

Cheers

Alan.

...Here's a link to the folks that sell the mics (a three pack is 80 bucks!):

The mics

I just ordered a three pack...

I did a bunch of searching on reviews and stuff- not that I dont trust you, but it just seems too good to be true. :) I only found one review that had anything bad to say- it was a video of some kid that kinda seemed like a tool.

I'll report back...

Ive heard good things...they had 4 digital reference SM57 clones at guitar center for $50 last month...Id wonder how good any of them are.

i've been using AKG D-22's for toms over the last couple years. they work great. They're certainly not the weak link when it comes to me doing drum recordings, that's for sure.

cheers,
wade

I just ordered a three pack...

I did a bunch of searching on reviews and stuff- not that I dont trust you, but it just seems too good to be true. :) I only found one review that had anything bad to say- it was a video of some kid that kinda seemed like a tool.

I'll report back...

Sounds good. Report back and let us know how they work for you. I don't know what else you record, but you'll find they work well in a lot of situations (guitar cabs esp)--though if I recall, you were looking forward to having 'em on the toms and being able to leave 'em set up so you're ready to go at a moment's notice.

---though if I recall, you were looking forward to having 'em on the toms and being able to leave 'em set up so you're ready to go at a moment's notice.

Yup, they'll be on toms primarily.
I record our entire band live during practice. So, drums, 2 guitar amps, bass(DI) and three vocals. I have 16 tracks available. Looks like I'll be using 12 or 13 tracks during a normal practice.
I'll post my impressions when they get here.

What would you say is?
in this order:

1. My dwindling chops and lack of ability to draw tone out of the drums (aka: "make em sing").

2. My room.

3. The drums themselves.

4. My mic preamps for toms (mackie sr24*4).

I'd put the D-22's 5th in this list, and it's a very distant 5th. Any "shortcomings" in my drum tracks aren't due to those mics, that's for sure. When they get replaced, they'll be replaced by 421's.

cheers,
wade

ES57's showed up in the mail yesterday........ and I dont have a drum set to mic at the moment DOH! Old drummer took his set out 2 days ago. New drummer needs to bring his over.

Anyway, build quality seems ok. I'll probably put em up on a guitar cab in the next few days to get a first impression.

Back